Thread: Presario; How do I access the BIOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Presario; How do I access the BIOS?

I was given an old Compaq Presario computer; it had a 3.2GB hard drive with ******* 98 (put your crucifixes down, please) and a somewhat broken CD drive. I replaced the CD with a spare DVD ROM and the hard drive was replaced with a spare 250GB. I also removed the old ISA Fax/modem and installed a PCI network card. On top of this I also burned a copy of Xubuntu 8.04 on my main PC, for loading onto the old timer.

But then I came to use the old machine, the BIOS recognised the new DVD ROM, but no menu appeared, just the word "COMPAQ", any attempt to access the BIOS met with no response, (would not respond to "Del" or "Esc" or any of the "F" keys) the PC then attempts to boot from the hard drive (it had an old version of, what I think may be Ubuntu, as it comes up with a GRUB error 18)!

I did notice the DVD ROM drive's light flash during the boot sequence.

Does anyone have any ideas how to access the BIOS?

It would be a shame for me to throw this old PC out!
    (I could always salvage the parts, I have 2 other motherboards and cases ready to make up some more computers, making 5 computers in my network)
    My calendar is confused
    At the beginning it has M and T for Monday and Tuesday
    At the end it has 2 S' for Saturday and Sunday
    In the middle; WTF?

Beans

Re: Presario; How do I access the BIOS?

Depends on what model/when it was built. IIRC, pre-2001 Compaqs you access the BIOS by hitting 'F10' and its 'F1' for 2002 Compaqs.

Also, if you hit F1 (or any other key).....a lot.....during the splash screen (you know, the big red COMPAQ) it should throw up a warning about 'stuck keys' or something like that, and you might get a hint about how to enter the BIOS there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Presario; How do I access the BIOS?

The unit was built in 1998, and F10 worked; but there is no option to boot from alternative sources!
    So it looks like I will salvage the new parts and make a new PC and the Presario will be sent to a charity shop!

Thanks anyway
    My calendar is confused
    At the beginning it has M and T for Monday and Tuesday
    At the end it has 2 S' for Saturday and Sunday
    In the middle; WTF?