Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gnome Shell themes thread... ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The Gnome Shell themes thread... ...

Quote Originally Posted by jpeddicord View Post
    Moved to Art & Design.
    I must say I think thats the wrong place, I have never looked in art and design in the nearly 3 years I have been on this forum as it just doesn't interest me wading through it for things that "may" be of interest to me.

If this did need to be moved Tutorials and Tips would have been a much better option imho.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

here is another theme I have been working on, I called it smoke, but its essentially a light grey theme.

I have changed various aspects of the css, and added a load more comments, I changed a lot of the colour codes, so instead of hex values they are now rgba, which means you can add an element of opacity to the themes, or go for full transparent if you feel the need, I did try full transparency, but in my opinion it didn't look that good.

I also adjusted some of the image files, new corner ripple etc.

I have also tried adding a background, which didn't go too well, but I think with some tweaking (and asking a couple of questions) it may be possible to use a background in the over view mode.

PS - Thanks to the mods for relocating the thread, but I have to agree that I would have put this thread in tutorials and tips, but thats me.

Screenshots of new theme and files attached.

PPS - I have just noticed an odd thing, I have tried to make the themes as user friendly as possible, so for example I have used colours that keep text easy to read etc (least I hope I have) the odd thing is that I used a gradient for the running applications, so when you look at the applications in overview mode the ones that are running should look different (see screenshot) how ever I have also noticed that if you mouse over the running application icons a border appears ?
    This is meant to happen in so much as there is meant to be a border around running apps, but it's meant to be there as soon as the apps icon changes to running, so I may have to look at the code.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by techno-mole; February 28th, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again Techno, your comments in your themes are really helpful.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro

yes thanks from me also . and I too think you had this in the right place , after all when it come to gnome-shell we are ALL beginners .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks techno-mole. Your marine theme fits perfectly with the chromibuntu theme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Has anyone else found that the default look of the message tray is lacking? I think it looks unclean and prefer a nice semi-transparent look all the way through like my attached screenshot... *taking it now*

I also wish the menu that shows all the applications would take up the screen by default, or have the option to resize it yourself- I'll attach another screenshot showing how it works better imho.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OlyPerson View Post
    Has anyone else found that the default look of the message tray is lacking? I think it looks unclean and prefer a nice semi-transparent look all the way through like my attached screenshot... *taking it now*

I also wish the menu that shows all the applications would take up the screen by default, or have the option to resize it yourself- I'll attach another screenshot showing how it works better imho.
    that can all be controlled using the css file, although why the app menu is so small is a bit of a puzzle, but its easily changed.

i was wondering is they couldnt embed some kind of editor to allow adjusting of the css from within the shell, like the looking glass feature, which I think allows for inspecting the java script, not sure it lets you edit it though ?
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by techno-mole View Post
    that can all be controlled using the css file, although why the app menu is so small is a bit of a puzzle, but its easily changed.

i was wondering is they couldnt embed some kind of editor to allow adjusting of the css from within the shell, like the looking glass feature, which I think allows for inspecting the java script, not sure it lets you edit it though ?
    You mean being able to click on an element and edit its properties? That sounds like a really good idea actually, it would make it way easier and just be clever. It would be cool if it were like the looking glass with the red square around the currently selected element.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i think an embedded editor might well be easier to implement from a theming point of view, as far as i can tell things might have to be re-written to allow multiple themes to be installed ?
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UPDATE - I had to re-install ubuntu again (don't ask) anyway nearly got it back to how I want it, but after installing gnome shell I applied one of my themes to it (I wish they would change the default, it sucks, especially when it can do so much more)
    but it didn't render as it should, the only thing I tested was the alt+f2 pop up for entering commands etc (you know the one most people have to type restart into to stop the cursor being hidden by the panel) it cam up with no back ground, and also didn't display the " dialog error " icon that now resides in the gnome shell theme folder.

I just thought I would let people know that the css may need tweaking (correction, will need tweaking) and that some of it has been changed a little, so I am going to go through and try and re-comment the new bits, once I find out what they do.

cheers
    The shed and beyond.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast