Thread: External R/W optical drive, pref. with LightScribe: suggestions anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question External R/W optical drive, pref. with LightScribe: suggestions anybody?

The optical drive on my DOS/Linux box is strictly CD-ROM, and that's just fine with me, because DOS and Linux can both mount and read it just fine, whereas I wouldn't trust the DOS CD-ROM driver to be able to deal with CD-R, CD-RW, or any DVD formats, or even with a drive with those capabilities.

The optical drive on my "bionic desk lamp" iMac can read and write DVDs, but for some reason, it can only read CDs. That, I can deal with as well, since most of the carrels at Ritz Camera can read DVDs, and my stereo has a CD-R machine for whenever I feel the need to dub music to CD.

Still, I think a USB read/write optical drive would be nice, preferably with LightScribe, as it would certainly correct both the above shortcomings. After all, if DOS can't see or mount it, it's presumably not going to make trouble.

Any recommendations on what's compatible with both a fairly slow Linux box running Ubuntu 8.04LTS, and an iMac G4 running Tiger? Any recommendations on what to avoid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: External R/W optical drive, pref. with LightScribe: suggestions anybody?

Throwing aside the LightScribe and DVD issues for the moment:

Anybody have any experience with something called a "Copycat," by an outfit called "Pengo"? It seems to be a combination standalone 1:1 copier and external USB CD-R/RW drive.

Hmm. That seems to have been a "drives not included" item, and superceded by a DVD external drive/standalone duplicator

Or how about a memory card backup device called a "Coolcopy MB600," which apparently doubles as an external CD-RW drive?
    Last edited by hbquikcomjamesl; March 3rd, 2010 at 02:46 AM.