Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FUD (Real or Not real)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

FUD (Real or Not real)

Yeah believe it or not I'm curious about what sort of FUD you have heard. All to often topics here get derailed by this person or that screaming FUD. Saying that what one person is saying is FUD all while saying things back at them without actually offering proof to either disprove the FUD they claim the person is spreading. Or for that matter to prove their own statements.

So whats the worst load of FUD you have ever heard that actually ended up being True?

Whats the biggest load of FUD you believed that ended up being False?

For myself I think the answer to both questions have been involved with the Conficker Virus/worm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker
    (Please keep in mind the link is to Wikipedia which while mainly reliable is not 100%)

When I first heard about it I thought here we go again another big pointless scare for an issue with a nice easy fix all ready available Like the Y2K all over again. (Again used Wikipedia as a gathered info site not as proof positive)

Then well nothing really happened except a lot of people spending a lot of money on upgrades and patches. Then it did do something.... It upgraded itself. So that was something to be sure. I honestly thought it was another big load of FUD that it didn't really exist.

The fact that all computers were at risk actually had me freaked out for a few hours. Because well the news (Evil people who speak with forked tongues ) people said ANY computer was at risk. It wasn't until I looked into it more that I found out only Windows computers seemed to be at risk.

So you have mine. I am curious what yours are. If they are one in the same like mine or two separate things.

Also I do ask that you actually offer some other source of collaborating information. The idea here isn't to start a FUD war. (If this does become so I ask that the thread be locked down quickly) But to share experiences we have all had were FUD fooled us into thinking something that was or wasn't true in the long run. As well as to hopefully in sharing them help others understand that screaming FUD without A) Disproving the other persons statements in a calm and logical way with actual proof not just your own POV. or B) Checking out the validity of their statements first and not just reacting do to your own preconceived notions, is just as bad as what you feel they are doing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: FUD (Real or Not real)

FWIW on the Y2K issue, a lot of people put in a lot of extra hours to make a comfortable transition.

Beans

Yeah, I've noticed people just use "FUD" as soon as someone says something they don't agree with.

AUSTRALIANS, be counted against planned censorship of our internet here!!
    #nocleanfeed #openinternet

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Brandel Valico View Post

So whats the worst load of FUD you have ever heard that actually ended up being True?

Whats the biggest load of FUD you believed that ended up being False?

For myself I think the answer to both questions have been involved with the Conficker Virus/worm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker
    FWIW, I'll tell you that that virus is a f'**g b**** to get rid of in an infected network because of how easily it can propagate. I've had 3 encounters of the virus within my companies network. It wasn't easy but I managed to remove all traces of the virus each time..(while the rest of the I.T. staff slacked..yay me)
    Last edited by Firestem4; February 28th, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

chillicampari: No doubts about that here. I know alot of work was done to make it a smooth transition. I'm more talking about the scare and misleading info in that respect. The fix for most computers was a quick download and patch job. (True this is how easy it was for end users and isn't meant to make it sound like the people who made it that easy for those users didn't work hard or don't deserve any credit they did and do)

Firestem4: I had all ready switched to Linux at the time so after the initial shock of it actually doing something and my accepting it was a massive virus and the media all saying no PC is safe (I again later found it was only Windows PC's directly affected) I did some research on it and actually had to remove it from my wifes Desktop and Laptop as well as my mom and brothers Desktop PC's. (Wife now uses Ubuntu) As much of a pain as it was for me to do. I don't even want to consider the hours you put in cleaning out a whole company network not just once but 3 times. (Was it people bringing in infected flash drives or other such media that reinfected the systems?) Is it still an issue?

Hobo14: nice to see I'm not the only one noticing this trend.
    Last edited by Brandel Valico; February 28th, 2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added response to Hobo14

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Brandel Valico View Post

Firestem4: I had all ready switched to Linux at the time so after the initial shock of it actually doing something and my accepting it was a massive virus and the media all saying no PC is safe (I again later found it was only Windows PC's directly affected) I did some research on it and actually had to remove it from my wifes Desktop and Laptop as well as my mom and brothers Desktop PC's. (Wife now uses Ubuntu) As much of a pain as it was for me to do. I don't even want to consider the hours you put in cleaning out a whole company network not just once but 3 times. (Was it people bringing in infected flash drives or other such media that reinfected the systems?) Is it still an issue?
    Alright, one of the reasons the Conficker Virus was so well known and credited as being the worst virus in years is because it was 1 parts sensationalistic journalism, and 2 parts marketing scare. (Can't tell you how many AntiVIrus vendors jumped on the scaremongering to sell their products, Norton was the worst culprit of that IMO).

I work at a small company with around 15 employees not including contractors. We have 16 servers and over 20 desktops. We build an embedded computer for Airborne Law Enforcement. The product that we sell runs on Windows XP Embedded. That has been the point of infection/vulnerability each time the Conficker Virus has outbroken in our network since the embedded image we use is quite old, and vulnerable to viruses of all kinds. We've had a few occasions where the Conficker virus would infect these machines and when we connected them to the network they would start distributing it themselves.

The 3 times where we had an infection were resultant due to our extensive use of networking when we repair, update, or do installations to these embedded computers. All of our setups and etc are stored on the network. Plug a vulnerable machine in; if its infected BAM..infected network. Or vice versa if you have an infected network, these machines can be easily infected. Tracking down the infection goes from working with the network monitoring tools, finding out which physical machine is infected, and manually doing a scan of each machine in an attempt to clean it. Its tedious and the first time it happened we didn't have the proper resources in place and were inbetween switching AntiVirus providers.
    Last edited by Firestem4; February 28th, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans
    Hidden!

Brandel, sure, and you'll mostly think think of the end user side and single use load and go. Which most people do (which is fine) but it was the result of some pretty fine work on the backend for making that easy for the end user to apply that patch. But outside of the home- everything from billing systems to modem banks to whatever had to be looked at and fixed if needed. While technically a lot of thing were not -hard- per se (at least the work I did), every single thing had to be inspected, and tested, usually at some god-awful hour after main, swing and night shifts had left.

The news pumped up the scare factor for sure to get the eyeballs *but* there some real problems I saw for myself when test rollovers were done so I don't write the whole thing off as lolFUD. 'cause I was there. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
    Last edited by chillicampari; February 28th, 2010 at 07:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The word FUD always makes me laugh.
    Where I lve it means something completely different......

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    The word FUD always makes me laugh.
    Where I lve it means something completely different......
    indeed it does

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Just as a historical note ...

From what I recall long ago, FUD (fear, Uncertainty & Dread) was an acronym coined to describe a tactic that Big Blue (what IBM was called back then) to SCARE customers into staying loyal to them -- rather than "jumping ship" on going to some other mainframe computer supplier.

It was never intended to be definitive because it was just a scare tactic. The vaguer it was, the harder it was to disprove and, consequently, the better it worked.

How the term is used today, I profess that I don't know.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast