Thread: Amarok won't play audio CD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Amarok won't play audio CD

I installed Karmi Koala Kubuntu 9.10 a few months ago, but I haven't found a way to play my audio cd's. Amarok used to play them when I used Kubuntu 7.10, but not with the latest install. I can launch Amarak, and I can select Amarok --> Play Media from the menu and I can see my CD and the tracks in the directory. I can click OK or select a track, but nothing happens.

I have been able to play a few mp3 files that I downloaded to the hard drive with Amarok, so the sound works. could it be that it can't play the .wav format?

Beans

Re: Amarok won't play audio CD

While may be of no value - I use gnome and amarok 1.4 (pana), but what happens if you click on "Local Music" and then click on Audio Cd and load/play from there?

Beans
    Distro

I can't find "Local Music", but I was able to select directories from the Settings --> Configure Amarok in the menu. I selected my CD rom and it caused it to spin up. It didn't load the tracks into the playlist however.

Amamok finally crashed. I got this error message.
    Application: Amarok (amarok), signal: Segmentation fault
    [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0xb787b710 (LWP 6738))]

Beans

Went ahead and installed it on my karmic install and it's there (local music, ect. ) but seems very easy to crash.
    Once it crashes the audio cd disappears from amarok 2 till you eject the disk and re-insert.
    Have it on a lucid tester where it works a bit better - more recent version.

Personally find 1.4 or the pana redo much more suitable, easy to build or use the ppa for the amarok14 version.

Any way a few screens

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for all of the help. I haven't figured out how to install amarok14 yet. Do I need to uninstall amarak 2.2.0 first? I added the source with the key.

Code:
    adam@dell16:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys AE74AE63                            
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys AE74AE63        
    gpg: requesting key AE74AE63 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com                                                      
    gpg: key AE74AE63: public key "Launchpad PPA for Bogdan Butnaru" imported                                              
    gpg: Total number processed: 1                                                                                         
    gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)                                                                               
    adam@dell16:~$ sudo apt-get update
    I'm guessing that I need to sudo apt-get uninstall amarok
    and then sudo apt-get install something else?

Beans

I've never used the ppa, but taking a glance I see that he now suggests using his amarok14 ppa instead.

https://edge.launchpad.net/~bogdanb/+archive/amarok14/

Anyway from a konsole this would take care of

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get remove amarok && sudo apt-get install amarok14

Beans
    Distro

Amarok14 wasn't found with the ppa or the key or whatever, so I added the
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/amarok14/ubuntu karmic main
    from above to the sources. I uninstalled amarok first, Kpackagekit gave me a dependency error, so I then I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install amarok14
    It ran for several minutes and that gave me another error. I looked at the other install method (build from source?), but it might be too difficult for me. Maybe I will try when I have more time.

Should I just install another player? I guess nobody actually plays CD's anymore.

Beans
    Distro

The system had broken dependencies after the attempted install of amarok14. That has been fixed. Today I installed banshee, and it plays my audio CD's without problems. Problem solved.