Thread: Copying entire partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Copying entire partitions

Ok, I need help copying my partitions so I can take apart my computer and fix a problem and then re-install the partitions. Hopefully I won't have to re-install, but I want to make backups just in case

Here's what i have:

-HP laptop with a windows (NTFS) and an Ubuntu (ext3) partition ~ 500GB total
    -Iomega 1TB external hard drive partitioned into a 500GB NTFS storage, 250GH BLANK ext3 Linux Backup, and 250GB BLANK NTFS Windows Backup.

I want to copy my windows and linux to their respective 250GB spaces on the External HD.

Questions:
    1.) Can you direct me to places on the net that describes this in detail?
    2.) Can I copy a partition while running that partition?
    3.) Will copying C:/ in windows over to the external HD copy entire partition?
    4.) Can I copy a Laptop partition to a external HD partition that is bigger?
    5.) Do I have to use partition manager software or can I do this from terminal/cmd prompt?

Sorry for all the questions.

Beans

Re: Copying entire partitions

Quote Originally Posted by Hybird View Post
    Ok, I need help copying my partitions so I can take apart my computer and fix a problem and then re-install the partitions. Hopefully I won't have to re-install, but I want to make backups just in case

Here's what i have:

-HP laptop with a windows (NTFS) and an Ubuntu (ext3) partition ~ 500GB total
    -Iomega 1TB external hard drive partitioned into a 500GB NTFS storage, 250GH BLANK ext3 Linux Backup, and 250GB BLANK NTFS Windows Backup.

I want to copy my windows and linux to their respective 250GB spaces on the External HD.

Questions:
    1.) Can you direct me to places on the net that describes this in detail?
    2.) Can I copy a partition while running that partition?
    3.) Will copying C:/ in windows over to the external HD copy entire partition?
    4.) Can I copy a Laptop partition to a external HD partition that is bigger?
    5.) Do I have to use partition manager software or can I do this from terminal/cmd prompt?

Sorry for all the questions.
    Answers:
    1.)
    http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=134457
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ommand-362506/
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1080626.html

2.) No. since it would be changing while copying it. At least I wouldn't.

3.) Yes

4.) Yes

5.) No, and yes

Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Copying entire partitions

Great! Thanks for the quick response, I can finally tear into my comp and fix its noisy CPU fan.