Thread: Unable to install Ubuntu...

Beans

Unable to install Ubuntu...

Hello, everyone -

I am a totally absolute beginner, and a lot of what I have been finding on the Ubuntu community documentation doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I've tried searching for the answers to my questions here on the forum, as I am sure you all get a lot of new folk trying to get answers to questions that have already been asked, and that must get annoying, yet I have not found the answer to what I am looking for, so here goes.

I am currently running 10.4.11 mac os x (867 Mhz Power PC G4, from 2003, with 640 MB RAM), and to the best of my ability, in reading the community documentation on whether Ubuntu will work with my computer, it seems to me that my computer does fit the minimum requirements for the recommended installation. I have used start-up boot discs before to install or reinstall different versions of os x, and that has worked in the past, so it seems that my cd drive should be able to boot up from the Ubuntu disk I created from the downloaded .torrent file.

I originally tried to download the 9.10 .iso file that the main Ubuntu download page recommended for me, but that file wouldn't burn properly from Disk Utility, so I downloaded the .torrent file, and that burned fine to a disc that I can now open and see that it does have all the files shown it is supposed to, according to the documention, not simply showing the .iso file like it was for me before. So I seem to have burned the .iso file correctly now.

When I try to restart my computer while holding the C key down, to start up from the .iso boot disk, nothing happens and it starts up with os x, as per normal. When I tried to hold down Command - Option - Shift - Delete all at once while restarting, then I got an icon that looked like os 9 era of a Finder folder with a flashing question mark on it, and then when I let go of the four keys, it happily went straight into starting up with os x again.

I've looked at the documentation for trying to load from a flash drive, and I didn't understand how to do that, according to the documentation for mac users.

Also, I have been unable to determine the md5 sum check thing, as when I follow the Terminal documentation instructions for how to check the hash number, the Terminal application does not spit out the hash number, as the documentation says that it would.

I am unsure of what my next step(s) should be, and am feeling pretty confused. I also heard that if I was having trouble with installing Ubuntu correctly on my old machine, that maybe I should try I think it was Yellow Dog Linux or something like that?

I have just heard that installing Linux on my old mac, and bypassing the os x, will help the computer to remain viable and less clunky for a bit longer.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Susanna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Unable to install Ubuntu...

Did you make the CD you created from the iso file bootable. I'm not familiar with your mac software so I'm wondering if whilst burning the CD you need to request "bootable" somewhere along the line. I've never had to do this in Ubuntu but one never knows with other systems.

Once you have a live CD you should be able to boot from it and give Ubuntu a try without changing your hard drive at all.

Do check the BIOS of your Mac to make sure you can boot from the CD even though you have said you've used it in the past. It should be the first boot device.
    Athlon 3500+, 1Gb ram, Geforce 6200TC, Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMG-9-RH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by susannasaurus View Post
    I am currently running 10.4.11 mac os x (867 Mhz Power PC G4, from 2003, with 640 MB RAM)...
    I originally tried to download the 9.10 .iso file that the main Ubuntu download page recommended for me,..
    Was this the i386 or AMD64 version?
    Either is wrong

You need the PowerPC version, which isn't officially supported by Canonical, only supported by the community
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Thanks so much for the replies!

It was the AMD64 version! I have now downloaded the desktop-powerpc.iso version, so that will probably do the trick. I will let you know if it works.

I'm also starting to read the Ubuntu pocket guide, which is nice and conversational and easy to understand so far, so that will probably also help!

I am sure I will have more questions later on, even after a successful install, so thanks again for the replies and this helpful forum! I am impressed!

Susanna

Beans

oh, and you **might** want to look at this.
    The PowerPC Architecture
    ------------------------

Summary:

Beginning with Ubuntu 7.04, the PowerPC edition of Ubuntu will be
    reclassified as unofficial. The PowerPC software itself and supporting
    infrastructure will continue to be available, and supported by a community
    team.

Full decision:

The Ubuntu Technical Board has decided to reclassify PowerPC as an
    unofficial architecture, rather than a fully supported architecture, for
    Ubuntu 7.04 and subsequent releases. This means that packages and ISO
    images will continue to be produced, but releases will not be delayed due
    to problems which are specific to PowerPC, and the quality of the PowerPC
    release itself will depend very much on the extent to which members of the
    Ubuntu community drive PowerPC testing and bug fixes.

The rationale for this decision has been recorded in the PowerPC Review
    document at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCReview, which was derived from
    a discussion at our developer summit in November. The conversation has
    continued, and for some time we have pursued a number of sources for
    funding to continue the official testing and support for the architecture.
    Unfortunately those resources have not been obtained, and we can not make
    the necessary commitments to continue official support for this
    architecture.

A team of PowerPC users and developers has been formed at
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-powerpc and will be the focus of efforts to
    keep Ubuntu's PowerPC support at high quality. We welcome wider
    participation in that team, and if developers devote some additional time
    to the work then there is no reason that Ubuntu on PowerPC should not
    continue to deliver high quality releases.

It is possible that PowerPC will once again become a fully supported
    architecture in the future, if the resources needed to guarantee its
    quality are found. The architecture is certainly gaining large numbers of
    users in embedded and console devices, and there are many reasons to
    continue to work with the platform. These uses are outside of the core
    Ubuntu mandate, however, so resources cannot be diverted from our server
    and desktop efforts just to address their needs.

Existing Ubuntu PowerPC releases will continue to be maintained for the
    duration of their supported life cycles, including Ubuntu 6.06 LTS which
    will be supported on PowerPC servers until 2011.
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/000098.html
    {Laptop}[Intel Core 2 Duo P7570, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HD, Broadcom 4353 Wifi, Nvidia Geforce 250M](custom built) Running: Mac OS X, and Ubuntu 9.10
    http://studenthotspot.net -Site for Students

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yep, what Samantha said. Might want to give Debian a go. It fully supports PPC and, Ubuntu is actually a dirivitive of Debian.

http://www.debian.org/

Beans

I will definitely check out Debian, and yet I also want to ask a question here about it, because they might not say this on their own website. Is Debian as desktop user friendly as Ubuntu is supposed to be?

Thanks, everyone, for all this good information!

Beans

I had similar issues the problem was that I burned the installation CD as "data" instead of "image", in nero burning rom one has to close the pop up on start up, than go to recorder and than "image"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by susannasaurus View Post
    I will definitely check out Debian, and yet I also want to ask a question here about it, because they might not say this on their own website. Is Debian as desktop user friendly as Ubuntu is supposed to be?
    Not quite, but it's still pretty easy to install, and requires minimal configuring if everything works 'out-of-the-box". Which is less likely than Ubuntu, because Debian puts less into their kernel, and Debian Stable is very behind-the-times.

From what I've heard, the PowerPC port of Debian is constantly in danger of being abandoned - only one guy working on it? Not sure if that's true, but if Ubuntu works better on your Mac then that would be why.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.