Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Ubuntu CAD station

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My Ubuntu CAD station

I hope that they follow through on the Science / Math forum, it would be very usefull, this thread is great.

Thanks for the links all.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by dalani
    Blender's interface is overwhelming and counter-intuitive - it seems more suited for wasting time on a steep learning curve. I would not recommend that one for general 3d design work. A word of advice to Linux cad-3d developers out there: make your keyboard shortcuts remappable so autocad users like myself can make the transition. (all pros use the keyboard to activate functions-cross screen mouse clicks are too slow).
    Blender's interface is only counter-intuitive if you're not willing to put in the time to learn it. Once you get used to it, it is more efficient than any other modeling program I've ever used.

Maya, THE pro 3d broadcast quality app, has been available for Unix for years. It's been used for everything from architectural stills to TV ad animations. It doesn't get more full blown than that.
    Depends on what you want to use it for. That's why CATIA has been mentioned in this thread. You can draw a really pretty model in Maya, but the one I draw in CATIA can be easily converted to design drawings for production, or evaluated for mass properties, or have its dimensions easily revised later, or have its history reviewed by another engineer, or integrate with a database manager like SmarTeam. I don't know of any Linux CAD programs that really meet these needs.

Beans

Thanks SD, im constantly trying these lists when I see them on the forums. ill have a look again since you have put a few up I have not tried yet

Beans

Wink Re: My Ubuntu CAD station

is there an app for viewing DWG files...???
    I have installed qcad but id only works with dxf files... and I need to only view DWG

Beans
    Hidden!

Efrain Valles this may help. http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Efrain Valles
    is there an app for viewing DWG files...???
    I have installed qcad but id only works with dxf files... and I need to only view DWG
    Are they Autocad DWGs, or Personal Designer/4D DWGs?

For Autocad, the Open Design Alliance has some tools. http://www.opendesign.com/

For Personal Designer, you can use DosBox to run the latest version of PD, but you have to jump through some flaming hoops to get it to work. (Compile DosBox 0.65+, use a Windows computer (or maybe Wine) to setup PD, copy the PD directory to your Linux machine and run it under DosBox).
    Last edited by hizaguchi; April 16th, 2006 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

hizaguchi check the link i posted. (LX-Viewer is a program that will allow you to open, view, print and convert DWG or DXF files, typically used in AutoCAD related technical drafting.)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    hizaguchi check the link i posted. (LX-Viewer is a program that will allow you to open, view, print and convert DWG or DXF files, typically used in AutoCAD related technical drafting.)
    I use Autocad... great stuff guys...

Beans
    Hidden!

Efrain Valles that program should help you with reading DWG files outside of autocad.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    Yeah, I saw that. I just thought I'd mention another option. Plus, there are 2 types of DWG files... one is made by Autocad and the other is the native format of a Dos-based 2d CAD package called Personal Designer, which some people still use. Most DWG viewers won't open the PD DWGs because, despite having the same extension, they are totally different files.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast