Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Desktop not being Loaded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Desktop not being Loaded

Hello! I experienced a problem on my Ubuntu as desktop is not being loaded - wallpapers, desktop icons, etc. are gone and that whole area stays black. Menu bars and windows are OK but once a window or dialog is maximised, its content and menus become black as well and the only thing visible is the title bar. The problem has been occurring several times till now but every time I restarted the system it started working well. Until now...
    I tried the solution proposed here and it worked it out but only for a while, one system load actually and this solution is working no more. Noticed that wallpaper appears for a moment just before system is being restarted or turned off.
    I am completely newbie (being blond and not ashamed of that ) and need your help, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by martysolutions; February 27th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Desktop not being Loaded

Install Fluxbox

Or you could boot into a terminal, and reinstall all the Gnome-related packages (presuming you're using Gnome), which may help. I've never encountered such a problem, though, so I'm not 100% sure...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Desktop not being Loaded

Thanks for the reply! Could you give me a hint how to restart in terminal and reinstall the packages? Or where I can read about it.