Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Lynx, I love you!

Beans

Re: Lucid Lynx, I love you!

It can read my ipod nano 5g, but can't play anything.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Nixon View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing if I find anything else.
    i found Simple Scan in the graphics menu and it is pure genius. What a beautiful easy to use scanning app. the best i've ever used. i think lucid is going to raise the bar for most distros.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aviedw View Post
    You have a lot of guts installing the alpha.
    it doesnt require guts just an extra hard drive or partition.

Beans

my laptop can suspend for the very first time
    only problems i have is my wifi is "disabled" and i cant vertical scroll over the volume icon to change the volume

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Owen.C93 View Post
    It can read my ipod nano 5g, but can't play anything.
    Try opening Rhythmbox then select your iPod and double click one of the audio files. You will then be prompted to download the correct plug-in. If you only have AAC files then it will recommend gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad (strange name but it seems to work), this usually comprises over 20 different files.

Otherwise, if you have mp3 files on the player, you'll probably have a choice of three mp3 plug-ins to download. They are much quicker. You should then be able to click files from your iPod within Rhythmbox.

After that you should be able to open the ipod from your desktop where you can select the iTunes_Control folder followed by Music, and then click on files within the music folders there. They are stored by number so it will be pretty random what you get. That's because they are all referenced by index files for the player to make sense of them.

But... you can copy all the files off your iPod into an Ubuntu folder and can then drag and drop them into Rhythmbox (or use Import File) and then you have a backup of your iPod's music. As you may know, you can't do this with iTunes as there are limits to syncing devices with computers.

Then, if you drag and drop a file from your Music collection onto your iPhone, it gets downloaded.

Like I said, I love it! My only fear is that an Apple firmware upgrade could change this...

Beans
    Distro

I was also surprised about iPhone/iPod Touch support. I upgraded from 9.10 where I had to manually install and configure my iPod Touch to get it working with Rhythmbox. Its always nice to see plug-n-play support!

I'm also looking forward to the music store with the combination of sync'ing everything to the clouds!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

it's great that lucid will have iphone support. i tried plugging in my dad's iphone in karmic and it wouldnt transfer files. im a big fan of ubuntu and i do look forward to new features.

however i think we should be real about the situation. lucid is a LTS and everyone knows there are an insane amount of open bugs on launchpad affecting karmic. im currently watching 9 bugs that severely change the way i deal with my pc for the worse.

they are trying to fix these with the 100 papercuts initiative, but in a lot of cases, a plaster isn't a good enough when surgery is required.

in my opinion, canonical has dropped the ball on lucid. instead of putting serious effort into fixing bugs, they are introducing a music store into an LTS release. its not a completely terrible idea, but it would be better if it was in lucid+1. also, naming it Ubuntu One Music Store while already having Ubuntu One cloud backup is silly.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by praveenmarkandu View Post
    also, naming it Ubuntu One Music Store while already having Ubuntu One cloud backup is silly.
    +1 Not sure what they were thinking if they thought that sounded cool. However, there are still ~2 months left to work out plenty of bugs so your watched bugs stand a good chance of being thoroughly fixed.

Beans
    Distro

im currently watching 9 bugs that severely change the way i deal with my pc for the worse.
    Please post about the bugs. Its therapeutic and you might find people have already solved the problem or found work arounds. At the very least it will attract attention to the bugs and might even occasionally attract a developer or ubuntu member's eye. For example, I have non-working hardware that I fixed by blacklisting broken kernel drivers. I never reported the bug in ubuntu since its a rare upstream kernel bug and is being worked on there. Another example: virtualbox usb is currently broken but there is a simple workaround posted here but not in launchpad.
    Repair:dpkg --configure -a Reconfigure:dpkg-reconfigure pkg (-a) Fix:apt-get -f install (pkg) Nuke:dpkg --force-remove-reinstreq -r pkg Corrupt deb:rm /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg Hack dpkg:rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg* Chroot unbootable ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by praveenmarkandu View Post
    in my opinion, canonical has dropped the ball on lucid. instead of putting serious effort into fixing bugs, they are introducing a music store into an LTS release. its not a completely terrible idea, but it would be better if it was in lucid+1. also, naming it Ubuntu One Music Store while already having Ubuntu One cloud backup is silly.
    Actually it makes a lot of sense since the purchased music is going to be synced to Ubuntu One.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast