Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bash script doesn't run properly from cron

Beans

Question Bash script doesn't run properly from cron

I have a really weird bash script problem that I can not figure out. I actually have two scripts where one calls the other. Here is the first script, which I named "mirror_distro.sh"

mirror_distro.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

HOST="ubuntu.osuosl.org"
    ROOT="ubuntu"
    METHOD="http"
    SECTION="main,restricted,universe,multiverse"
    ARCH="i386,amd64"
    GENERIC_OPTS="--progress --verbose --nosource --passive --ignore-release-gpg"

# Make sure the directory exists
    prep_dir() {
        if [ ! -d "$1" ]; then
            mkdir -p "$1"
        fi
    }

# Figure out Distribution to download
    DIST=`basename $0|cut -f2 -d "_"`
    if [ "$DIST" = "distro.sh" ]; then
    	echo "Error!"
    	exit 1
    fi
    LOG="/var/log/$DIST-mirror.log"

# Get Mirror Directory
    ABSPATH="$(cd "${0%/*}" 2>/dev/null; echo "$PWD"/"${0##*/}")"
    PATH_ONLY=`dirname "$ABSPATH"`
    MIRROR_DIR="$PATH_ONLY/$DIST"

# If distribution has been released, include security and update sections
    case "$DIST" in 
            "intrepid"|"jaunty"|"karmic" )
                    DIST_ALL="$DIST,$DIST-security,$DIST-updates"
                    ;;
            * )
                    DIST_ALL="$DIST"
                    ;;
    esac

# Primary Canonical Repositories
    prep_dir $MIRROR_DIR/canonical
    debmirror $GENERIC_OPTS \
    	  --method=rsync \
    	  --host=$HOST \
    	  --root=:ubuntu \
    	  --dist=$DIST_ALL \
    	  --section=$SECTION \
    	  --arch=$ARCH \
              --getcontents \
    	  $MIRROR_DIR/canonical | tee $LOG

# Set up repo to be trusted
    wget -N -P $MIRROR_DIR/canonical/dists/$DIST http://$HOST/$ROOT/dists/$DIST/Release.gpg
    wget -N -P $MIRROR_DIR/canonical/dists/$DIST-updates http://$HOST/$ROOT/dists/$DIST-updates/Release.gpg
    wget -N -P $MIRROR_DIR/canonical/dists/$DIST-security http://$HOST/$ROOT/dists/$DIST-security/Release.gpg

case "$DIST" in
            "intrepid"|"jaunty"|"karmic" )

# Medibuntu Repository
    		prep_dir $MIRROR_DIR/medibuntu
    		    --method=http \
    		    --host=packages.medibuntu.org \
    		    --root=/ \
    		    --dist=$DIST \
    		    --section="free,non-free" \
    		    --arch=$ARCH \
    		    $MIRROR_DIR/medibuntu | tee -a $LOG

wget -N -P $MIRROR_DIR/medibuntu/dists/$DIST http://packages.medibuntu.org/dists/$DIST/Release.gpg

# Virtualbox
    		prep_dir $MIRROR_DIR/virtualbox
    		    --method=http \
    		    --host=download.virtualbox.org \
    		    --root=virtualbox/debian \
    		    --dist=$DIST \
    		    --section="non-free" \
    		    --arch=$ARCH \
    		    $MIRROR_DIR/virtualbox | tee -a $LOG

wget -N -P $MIRROR_DIR/virtualbox/dists/$DIST \
    		    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/dists/$DIST/Release.gpg

;;

"lucid" )

;;
    esac
    This script should be fairly self-explanitory. It's really just a complex wrapper script for the debmirror command. For each distribution (intrepid, jaunty, karmic, lucid) I have a symlink to the mirror_distro.sh file called "mirror_$dist". The filename is used to figure out which distribution to mirror. This script works great normally.

Here's a second script I have called "update.sh":
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    AP="$(cd "${0%/*}" 2>/dev/null; echo "$PWD"/"${0##*/}")"
    PO=`dirname "$AP"`

RELEASES="intrepid jaunty karmic"

for dist in $RELEASES; do
      echo "Updating $dist..."
      $PO/mirror_$dist
    done
    This one should be even more evident. It's simply my "update all distributions" script and is a wrapper for the first script. This script also works perfectly when I run it myself.

Now here's my problem. I added a job to crontab using the command 'sudo crontab -e' and added the following line:

Code:
    0 2 * * * /media/repositories/update.sh
    Now here's the weird problem. When cron runs this script only the FIRST distribution (intrepid) is executed. The rest of them are not. I know this because the log file timestamps aren't getting updated and if I run the command manually there are little to no updates for intrepid but there are tons of updates for jaunty and karmic. Does anyone have any idea of why this is happening?

Beans

Re: Bash script doesn't run properly from cron

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy999 View Post
    This one should be even more evident. It's simply my "update all distributions" script and is a wrapper for the first script. This script also works perfectly when I run it myself.
    Unless I'm missing something, update.sh is not really a "wrapper for the first script"; it appears to bypass mirror_distro.sh and invokes each of the mirror_intrepid, mirror_jaunty, and mirror_karmic scripts directly.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans

I guess that's what I meant.

Beans

I wouldn't call it a bash problem. It is a cron problem. I too have written bash scripts that work fine from the cli, but just do not work from cron. Cron mysteriously can have problems executing a script from within a script. It doesn't look this all needs to be in 2 scripts. Combine into one and then try.
    I have also broken tasks into multiple cron lines, when I have had this problem.
    OSTV is a very lightweight yet full featured TV/Video Player

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why have the complexity of distro differentiation based on symbolic link names? I would pass an argument into the mirror_distro.sh script.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your scripts work for me. I modified the mirror script to just echo the mirror commands instead of doing them, but it worked for the three distros from the command line and from cron. On Hardy.

Beans

I use Dillon's CRON (rather the default CRON that ships with Debian), so I can't specifically help you; however, I would suggest investigating the ownership permissions of your symbolic links -- in particular the group permissions (CRON may be using SGID instead of SUID).
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gmargo View Post
    Your scripts work for me. I modified the mirror script to just echo the mirror commands instead of doing them, but it worked for the three distros from the command line and from cron. On Hardy.
    Strangely enough that works for me as well, but the original script does not work. I find it really strange that it calls the first script, but not the second or third script. It really just boggles my mind because it obviously is capable of calling a second script from within itself.

As for why I am not using parameters to pass to a second script, the second script was more of an afterthought. I developed the first script based on another script that I had found elsewhere on the net and I thought it was fairly slick. I had separate cron jobs for each script but I ran into a problem where if I scheduled them too close together they would "run into" each other. Meaning one script would not be finished before the next one began. I wanted them to run sequentially. So I made a separate script that just called each of them in turn so that the entire repository update occurs as fast as possible without the scripts running into each other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    I use Dillon's CRON (rather the default CRON that ships with Debian), so I can't specifically help you; however, I would suggest investigating the ownership permissions of your symbolic links -- in particular the group permissions (CRON may be using SGID instead of SUID).
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x  8 root root 4.0K 2010-02-26 10:17 .
    drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4.0K 2010-02-26 10:24 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  8 root root 4.0K 2009-09-15 22:15 intrepid
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4.0K 2009-07-12 22:22 jaunty
    drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4.0K 2009-10-30 00:14 karmic
    drwx------  2 root root 4.0K 2009-12-27 20:14 lost+found
    drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4.0K 2010-02-17 11:07 lucid
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root 2.7K 2010-02-19 22:38 mirror_distro.sh
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   16 2009-11-16 18:43 mirror_intrepid -> mirror_distro.sh
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   16 2009-11-16 18:43 mirror_jaunty -> mirror_distro.sh
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   16 2009-11-16 18:43 mirror_karmic -> mirror_distro.sh
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   16 2010-02-17 11:06 mirror_lucid -> mirror_distro.sh
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K 2009-11-22 20:26 sources.list
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root  207 2010-02-25 23:34 update.sh
    Everything looks fine to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Turn on debugging by setting the -x option on the shell (change she-bang to «#!/bin/bash -x» or run «set -x» at the start of the script), and redirect the output to a file.

Code:
    0 * * * * /media/repositories/update.sh >/tmp/update-output.log 2>&1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast