Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any issues with Ubuntu on the Asus N61JV laptop?

Beans

Re: Any issues with Ubuntu on the Asus N61JV laptop?

I am on the N61JV right now with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Everything is fine until trying to activate Nvidia drivers.

Ubuntu suggests to activate the Nvidia drivers (System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers), which goes fine until you reboot whereby I always get a blank screen.

From the forums it is suggested to hit ctrl-alt-F1 or ctrl-alt-shift-F1 to bypass X and get a command line or boot into recovery mode to fix it, however ctrl-alt-F1 just freezes up the X display. Recovery mode doesn't seem useful.

I also tried to install the Linux 64 bit drivers dated 8-31-2010 from the Nvidia site -- however it tells me I need to exit the X server to install the drivers. Due to above issues I cannot find anyway to get out of X and onto a plain command line.

However I am getting all the Desktop effects, running Google Earth, etc without activating Nvidia drivers, so the system is seeing something, but perhaps it is the Intel video. There is no xorg.conf file created so it's hard to know what is providing the video.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you for the informative post. I think that I will wait until NVIDIA publishes an updated package that will enable the Optimus technology to work seamlessly as it does in Microsoft Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro

I just installed Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 LTS on my ASUS N61JV-X2. Almost everything works out of the box except for the NVIDIA 325 M GPU. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers version 256.53 Certified and opened up the README file too.

You have to boot into the command line by changing your run level. Then, you have to disable NOVEAU to install the proprietary driver which I mentioned.

Steps to solve this problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=nvidia-common

This is my first attempt to install the proprietary NVIDIA 325 M driver package on Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 LTS. If I am successful, then I will let the community know the outcome.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Welly Wu; September 5th, 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Beans

You have to boot into the command line by changing your run level.
    Therein lies the problem, I can't find a way to boot to runlevel 1 and get a prompt -- the screen is always just blank.

And yes it has the 325M GPU with Optimus.

I would really like to get it going, but without being able to get a rescue prompt it seems risky. I have to constantly make backups whenever I install anything -- in case I break something and have to restore it all from scratch, ugh.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That driver from nvidia also mentions support for xorg 1.9, which is the version that Ubuntu Maverick uses.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...53-driver.html

So you might try upgrading to Ubuntu Maverick and then see if you can install the nvidia drivers.

Also the 2.6.35 kernel Maverick uses apparently supports VGA switcheroo for hybrid graphics (2 cards like we have). https://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux

http://asusm51ta-with-linux.blogspot.com/

I'll give it a shot sometime, but I can't today.
    Last edited by dugh; September 19th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No, still doesn't work in Ubuntu 10.10.

Tried both the 256.53 and beta 260.19.06 nvidia drivers.

If anyone tries this stuff out and it hangs on boot, learn about the keyboard shortcuts (beyond control-alt-f1), such as:

alt-sysrq-e - to try to quit (sigterm) the current processes nicely (then you can control-alt-f1 to get to a login prompt)

alt-sysrq-k - kill all not nicely

alt-sysrq-b - reboot - sometimes I had to reboot and then hit alt-sysrq-e before it hung up to get a login prompt

alt-sysrq-r - raw keyboard (try to get keyboard control back)

Before you try the nvidia installer run 'sudo service gdm stop'

To uninstall the nvidia driver, run the installer again, tacking on: --uninstall

and then delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf and delete /etc/init.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf if you want to disable nvidia and go back to where it was (the intel card, which works).

Beans

Thanks -- alt-sysrq-e followed by ctrl-alt-F1 got me to a prompt.

I wasn't aware of the alt-sysrq commands. On other systems I just select recovery mode and it all works.

- Eric

Beans

In any case, it doesn't look worthwhile to install these drivers. The laptop is not 100% Linux and the available graphics are fine for my Linux needs.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, nVIDIA Optimus is not going to be supported for GNU/Linux. Do not install the proprietary nVIDIA graphics drivers or you will reboot into BASH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12