Thread: Alt + F2 dialog package

Beans

Alt + F2 dialog package

Which package is the Alt + F2 run dialog in? I have GNOME on Gentoo and the key combination doesn't work...using gnome-do in its place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Alt + F2 dialog package

Quote Originally Posted by silent_n0va View Post
    Which package is the Alt + F2 run dialog in? I have GNOME on Gentoo and the key combination doesn't work...using gnome-do in its place.
    It's a feature provided by the gnome-panel. (I have no idea what's the actual package that includes the panel, though).

Beans

It's a feature provided by the gnome-panel. (I have no idea what's the actual package that includes the panel, though).
    I'm quite sure that it's metacity. I'm running openbox with gnome-panel and I don't have ALT+F2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by zlatkart View Post
    I'm quite sure that it's metacity. I'm running openbox with gnome-panel and I don't have ALT+F2
    no, it definitely is Gnome-panel. If you replace Metacity in Gnome with anything else (for example with Compiz, like so many Ubuntu user's do) the Run dialog still works, but if you kill the panel the dialog stops working.

The dialog used to be a separate program, started by running "gnome-run", but it was integrated into gnome-panel in Gnome 2.6.

If the shortcut isn't working for you you are probably missing the Gnome component that handles keyboard shortcuts, or the relevant gconf key isn't set or something.

edit: This will probably help you: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:GNOME/Openbox
    Code:
    <keybind key="A-F2">
        <action name="execute"><execute>gnome-panel-control --run-dialog</execute></action>
    </keybind>
    Last edited by mcduck; February 25th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Cool
    Thank you. But strange as I think that killing Metacity always killed ALT+F2 (as far as I remeber). Anyway...

Beans

I have Metacity and gnome-panel both on Gentoo, though it's running Compiz currently. Strange that the run dialog wouldn't work with Compiz as it works brilliantly in Ubuntu, but I will check on my key bindings tonight.

Beans
    Hidden!

If Compiz is running, I believe there is a "Gnome Compatibility" plugin (or similar) which must be enabled to allow Alt+F2 and some other bits to work again. Having said that, if it wasn't working before Compiz was enabled, this may not be the case.
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans

Gnome compatibility was turned off. Turned it on and now the dialog runs. ^_^