Thread: System76 Galago Pro vs Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition

Beans

System76 Galago Pro vs Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition

Hello everyone!

I want (need) to replace my old Dell Inspiron E1405 (it has been 6 or 7 year with it :_)) and I was wondering which laptop to buy. I bought an HP but had to return because of its problems with UEFI, drivers and etc with Ubuntu or dual boot.

I'm looking to buy something that works with Ubuntu "out of the box" and that have the best specifications possible.

About looks, performance, personal experience I'm going for the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition. I think it has many great features although the number of ports available, some Wifi problems I've been reading (I don't know if they are of previous model and support doesn't seem to know), and the lack of ability to use multiple external monitors are among the things that worries me.

About System76 Galago Pro, well I really don't know well the brand, and the laptops are not so stylish, but it has more ports, and seems to be possible to upgrade in the future, and is also lightweight. I don't know if there are known issues or if I would be able to use multiple displays with it. Also the 14' display I think is better than the 13.3' of Dell's

The price of both for the same characteristics is similar, although the Galago is a bit cheaper.

Does anyone have any of these laptops that can tell me about their reliability, how are they working (having issues? or didn't work out of the box?), and in general an insight of which one would you buy and why? How's the battery life?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: System76 Galago Pro vs Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition

I looked at this as well. When you build out the System76 box, it ends up costing just as much as the Dell and I personally think the Dell looks a lot better. I'm sure the general response here will be System76 but I'd personally go Dell. I like the fact that the small boutiques have Ubuntu machines but I'd really be excited to see more from the bigger names.

Beans

I would go for the dell xps 13 developer edition. It's a very nice laptop. If you need more ports, you can get a USB 3.0 port replicator. If you want multiple monitors, unfortunately the HD4000 does not support daisy chaining display port. However, if you are willing to drop $200 on a Matrox DualHead2Go, you can do two monitors with resolutions up to 1920x1200 each on that chip.

Personally, as much as I can't wait to get my hands on that laptop, I'm trying to resist until you can get one with a Haswell chip.

Beans

Thank you for the response both!

K.J, I know that the chip in Dell's is 3rd generation but what would be the big difference with the Haswell chip (just to know if I have to wait too XD) ?

Also about the Matrox DualHead2Go, does it work well with Ubuntu?

Beans

Sounds like you already reached this conclusion but just to corroborate, I bought a galago Ultra Pro and am returning it. I really wanted to like this machine (cheaper than the Dell, not from Dell, bigger screen) but the keyboard is atrocious. I couldn't type 3 words without a letter missing.

Too bad, though, since it's specced really well for the price.