Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

Beans

Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

I am looking at the new Lenovo touchscreen laptop, S10-3t. It comes with Win7, which I would like to replace with Linux, preferably Ubuntu. Does anyone have any experience with this device?

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

My daughter has this computer and she also wants to run Ubuntu. I tried to install it through Wubi with no luck. Windows 7 doesn't like the wubi installer at all. On reboot into ubuntu I got an all black screen then after powering down and rebooting again I couldn't boot into ubuntu at all it would just dump me to a grub prompt. I haven't tried Usb stick yet that will be my next attempt. But I really do like this netbook and am interested to see how multi-touch works in Ubuntu (or if it works at all ) it's actually not that bad running win 7 but i know i'm gonna hate it once i have to renew all the crap that came with it lol .

Beans

Thanks for the info. I see that the S10-3t does not have a CD-ROM, which would mean booting Ubuntu from USB or PXE, and avoid booting Win7 altogether. Have you tried that?

Beans

I bought this laptop 2 weeks ago, while it is a great machine under win7, ubuntu is still a little lacking.
    Touchscreen does not work at all, I have tried everything I could think of and everything i could find through google.
    Built in wireless card does not work either, I had to dig out my usb dongle to get online, although the hardline connection works just fine.

Now if you dont mind having to use an extra wireless card and not being able to use the touch screen it works perfectly fine under ubuntu

Beans

I have the S10-3t and also would like to install Linux on it. I have tried Karmic Koala standard and Netbook Remix versions by using an SD card with UNetbootin.

It boots fine and everything seems to work except the wifi and the touchscreen, which happens to be pretty much the whole point of this netbook.

Lenovo has provided little to no documentation on this machine and windows 7's Device Manager is essentially useless as per usual. The wifi card is a Broadcom 4313 and as Broadcom is not exactly Open Source Friendly, this will be a bit of a challenge, but not too entirely difficult.

There are a couple solutions to getting wifi working. One is to use the drivers provided by Broadcom. You can download the source at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php. According to the readme file Ubuntu already has these drivers precompiled in their repos.

Another possibility is to use ndiswrapper. Although ndiswrapper is present, some other things need to be set up to get it working. The instructions to do that are at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper.

Since the only drivers that Lenovo provides for this netbook are for windows 7, you are going to have to look elsewhere for drivers. I have found windows xp drivers for the Compaq Mini at http://www.userdrivers.com/Notebook-...s-XP/download/ which may or may not work. I haven't tried it yet.

As far as the touch screen goes, windows 7's Device Manager lists this as "HID-compliant device" and uses the driver file "c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ApsHM86.sys." I'm yet to find an actual name of the device or the manufacturer. This may be a stretch, but could it be possible to extrapolate the drivers from the already functional "Quick Start?"

Anyway, I'm going to continue trying to get this thing working, and update if I make any significant progress.
    Last edited by thevillage88; February 26th, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Punctuation and Grammar

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thevillage88 View Post
    I have the S10-3t and also would like to install Linux on it. I have tried Karmic Koala standard and Netbook Remix versions by using an SD card with UNetbootin.

It boots fine and everything seems to work except the wifi and the touchscreen, which happens to be pretty much the whole point of this netbook.

Lenovo has provided little to no documentation on this machine and windows 7's Device Manager is essentially useless as per usual. The wifi card is a Broadcom 4313 and as Broadcom is not exactly Open Source Friendly, this will be a bit of a challenge, but not too entirely difficult.

There are a couple solutions to getting wifi working. One is to use the drivers provided by Broadcom. You can download the source at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php. According to the readme file Ubuntu already has these drivers precompiled in their repos.

Another possibility is to use ndiswrapper. Although ndiswrapper is present, some other things need to be set up to get it working. The instructions to do that are at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper.

Since the only drivers that Lenovo provides for this netbook are for windows 7, you are going to have to look elsewhere for drivers. I have found windows xp drivers for the Compaq Mini at http://www.userdrivers.com/Notebook-...s-XP/download/ which may or may not work. I haven't tried it yet.

As far as the touch screen goes, windows 7's Device Manager lists this as "HID-compliant device" and uses the driver file "c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ApsHM86.sys." I'm yet to find an actual name of the device or the manufacturer. This may be a stretch, but could it be possible to extrapolate the drivers from the already functional "Quick Start?"

Anyway, I'm going to continue trying to get this thing working, and update if I make any significant progress.
    I tried using ndiswrapper, it would install the windows driver, but then it would complain about not being able to see the hardware. At first I thought the toggle switch on the side of the netbook was turned off, but that wasn't the case. I will try the link for the drivers you posted, maybe I will have better luck with those.

From what I have been able to determine about the touch screen, it seems it is made by a Korean manufacturer www.digitechsys.co.kr they have an english site, but it is still mostly in Korean, and I have not found any drivers on their site, you might have better luck than I did

I would really like to see the touch screen work, as the UNR interface just screams for a touch screen, the wireless I can live with having to use my usb dongle for now if I can not get the built in card to work.

Beans

Yep. NDIS 6 drivers don't work with ndiswrapper, so the drivers Lenovo included in the second partition are useless. I have since tried the Compaq drivers and they do work! I got the same message about hardware not being found, but when I clicked on the NetworkManager icon 6 access points appeared in the menu.

I was able to connect for about a half hour before it stopped working. I may have caused my router to block me when I hit the home button in Firefox like 20 times. Because the other APs are still visible in NM, I don't think it's an issue with ndiswrapper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thevillage88 View Post
    Yep. NDIS 6 drivers don't work with ndiswrapper, so the drivers Lenovo included in the second partition are useless. I have since tried the Compaq drivers and they do work! I got the same message about hardware not being found, but when I clicked on the NetworkManager icon 6 access points appeared in the menu.

I was able to connect for about a half hour before it stopped working. I may have caused my router to block me when I hit the home button in Firefox like 20 times. Because the other APs are still visible in NM, I don't think it's an issue with ndiswrapper.
    No I think its an issue with the driver, It doesn't stay connected to encrypted networks, at least thats been the case for me. It connected after the install but I needed to reboot to do something in windows and when I logged back in, it wouldn't connect at all. I tried connecting to one of the open routers around me here and it connected just fine, no problems at all. I'm running WPA2 on my router, its a linksys with the tomato firmware installed.

Beans

Regarding the wifi, Broadcomm has a linux driver for the chipset on their support page. Does this driver not work? According to the Lenovo forum, the wifi uses the Broadcomm BCM4313 11 b/g/n chipset.

Beans

Has anyone tried 10.04 alpha 2 ? I recently got a new laptop and 10.04 was the only version of ubuntu i could get to work. I know it's just and alpha and not meant for work computers, but my guess is not many are using this computer for work lol. Anyway i'll probably give 10.04 a shot this weekend. Unless someone has already tried it and can verify that it doesn't work.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast