Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

Yes, there is still someone interested Probably even more.

First of all what do you mean with touch-button? The one above the rotate-button? Actually I did never really realize its existence, maybe because it never worked and I never used Windows...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by knoppi View Post
    Yes, there is still someone interested Probably even more.

First of all what do you mean with touch-button? The one above the rotate-button? Actually I did never really realize its existence, maybe because it never worked and I never used Windows...
    Yh, I still follow this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sciallo View Post
    The accelerometer is loaded as a joystick device, and I was able to get it to calibrate and show values with the kde settings and jstest once, but it has not worked since.
    How did you do that? I spend a while looking to see if I could find any way of doing that but only found stuff for the old thinkpads.

Beans

Glad to see the thread is still alive

Yes, the button above the "rotate screen" button is now my "toggle right click", funny, in the whole 10 minutes I checked windows out when I first got this I don't remember what that did...

If you follow my first post I now have modified the lsrot.c file a little more, instead of editing it, replace it with the attached file (REPLACE lsrot.c with it, REMOVE .txt from the filename). Once you issue the "sudo modprobe iaps" command you will have a /dev/input/js0 input device. that's the accelerometer, in the kde settings under input devices I could see the movement by tilting the netbook. It keeps freezing up on me though. seems like maybe another bug in the bios, once it stops working the only way to get it back is to shut down and remove the battery!!

I have very little time right now, but I will try to post the rest of my scripts later on...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Ok, so... I'm back with a little more time.

First see my first thread post about downloading and installing lsrot and iaps, but make sure to replace the lsrot.c file with the one I attached to my last post.

I ended up keeping all of this under my /home/<user>/src/ folder if you do otherwise, make sure to check scripts for and change paths....

The whole deal with keeping the kde panel on the short side of the screen is weird, hours of google didn't give me a better solution to run the script I created in desktop console for moving the panels. I had to install xdotool and have a dcop call open the desktop console program with my script, execute it and close the window. not the cleanest solution but it works. If anyone knows of a better way to run the simple js script from a shell PLEASE enlighten me!

So, we'll need xdotools...

sudo apt-get install xdotool

in /home/<user>/src/rotate/ folder:
    (Of course throughout this "<user>" is your username)

- I modified the rotate script that was posted here (I'm using kubuntu 11.10 so the script is the second one in the wiki) to also move the kde panel, see the attached "rotate.sh" and save in folder ~/src/rotate/

- The shell script that opens executes and closes desktop console:"movepanel.sh"

- and the js file loaded by desktop console "movepanel.js" (uploaded as movepanel.js.txt", RENAME IT, the forum doesn't accept .js)

in /home/<user>/src/ folder:

- "RCtoggle.sh" shell script that toggles right click. If called with an argument eg. "./RCtoggle 5" it changes clicks for right clicks for 5 seconds, if called without argument until called again.

At this point all that's left to do is set some shortcuts:
    in "kde system settings" -> "Custom Shortcuts" -> "edit"

Create 4 new shortcuts:

- "Rotate screen" action: "/home/<user>/src/rotate/rotate.sh" (no quotes of course"
    Trigger: close the screen to tablet mode, touch the button by "shortcut: " and press the rotate screen button. "Rotate Windows should appear there.
    (the rotate windows button only works when in tablet mode, if you think you'll need to be able to rotate it while open create a different shortcut for it with the same action.

- "Close to Tablet" Action: "/home/<user>/src/rotate/rotate.sh 2"
    Trigger: this time click on the button first, when you close to tablet "Launch(7)" should appear.

- "Open to netbook" Action: "/home/rick/src/rotate/rotate.sh 0"
    Trigger: with the netbook in tablet mode, click (touch) the button then open to netbook mode, "Launch(8)" should appear.

- "Right Click Toggle" Action: "/home/rick/src/RCtoggle.sh 4" (4 is the number of seconds before it goes back to left omit it and it will stay in right click mode 'till you press it again...
    Trigger: just click the button then press the touch button (above the rotate button to the left of the screen.

Needless to say, I'm using KDE, if you don't you can skip all of the move panel stuff, use the original rotate screen script (or delete the last line from mine) and use whatever way your desktop manager uses to set shortcuts.

Now I'm wrecking my brain to try to get compiz to work on 11.10 with kde, any of the solutions I find so far on google are not working, compiz brakes the kde4 windows decorator, emerald is no longer in the repositories and does not compile right... at a loss.... Once I get that working I'm going to get some multi-touch gestures going ;) Any suggestion?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by sciallo View Post
    Glad to see the thread is still alive

Yes, the button above the "rotate screen" button is now my "toggle right click", funny, in the whole 10 minutes I checked windows out when I first got this I don't remember what that did...

If you follow my first post I now have modified the lsrot.c file a little more, instead of editing it, replace it with the attached file (REPLACE lsrot.c with it, REMOVE .txt from the filename). Once you issue the "sudo modprobe iaps" command you will have a /dev/input/js0 input device. that's the accelerometer, in the kde settings under input devices I could see the movement by tilting the netbook. It keeps freezing up on me though. seems like maybe another bug in the bios, once it stops working the only way to get it back is to shut down and remove the battery!!

I have very little time right now, but I will try to post the rest of my scripts later on...
    Awesome, thanks. It didn't work at first but it print DEPMOD 3.0-ARCH on my screen so I typed that into terminal, it took a while but now it seems to work. cat /dev/input/js0 shows when I move the laptop. Just downloading so programs to see how well it works. Many thanks

Beans

Mine hang when wake up from suspend and also the touch screen stop responding when i touch it with two fingers , is there any solution to fix those bugs? i am using 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by afrilas View Post
    Mine hang when wake up from suspend and also the touch screen stop responding when i touch it with two fingers , is there any solution to fix those bugs? i am using 11.10
    I'm with you on this one, it really bugs me :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by afrilas View Post
    I just finished installing 11.10 with the same issues. Suspend does not work at all and I dont have multitouch turned on. Other than that it runs great. I have not used this computer in a few months (I am usually on my Mac) but I pulled it out and got it running for fun. It is a great little computer for around the house and although I have had it for a year and a half the battery life is still great.

Another thing, I have never been a fan of the new Unity interface but on this tablet it works great. Still not sold on it for desktop use but on a tablet it is the best interface I have seen yet.
    Frank Comstock http://frankssite.com frank@frankssite.com
    Custom Machine: CPU: Intel i5 2500K Ram: 8gb pc1333
    SSD: (128gb and 64gb) HD: 1.5TB GPU: ATI HD 6770
    Ubuntu user number # 34128

Beans

I just installed 11.10 via a USB stick, and it installed almost pefectly.
    Aside from the audio.
    It states no sound card when I run aplay-l

Help?

Everything elsre installed and works perfectly (I think)

I dont know if there is compiz or 3D finctionality with this little idea pad. I have the S10e model.
    Trying to run gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and plugging in the variables in the last line has had little if any effect.
    Typically under sound settings and output i get the dummy sound card listed.
    On a couple of tries I have gotten an alsa volume bar under the applications tab.
    But nothing results in any sound.

Thanks
    Last edited by ydeardorff; February 29th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

Picked up a used S10-3t last week, and so far it's awesome. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I've found it immensely useful. Haven't read all of it yet, but I've tried to thumb through a lot of it.

One question I didn't see discussed a lot, and I was curious what everyone else is doing, is are you all generally running Unity 2D or 3D? Speed seems a bit better in 2D, though 3D is quite usable. The only drawback I've seen so far is that after a while, the netbook has a tendency to freeze up after awhile in 3D. The cursor still moves, and I can CTRL-ALT into another session, but my main graphical session stays frozen until I reboot.

I was curious if either a) I should just be running Unity 2D, or b) is there something I can do to make it a bit more stable in 3D.

Beyond that, the screen, sound, wireless all worked out of the box. The battery life (8-cell) seems excellent and overall the performance for this little machine is quite nice. Thanks again for all the advice and tips in this thread.

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast