Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 491

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    99

    Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    I am looking at the new Lenovo touchscreen laptop, S10-3t. It comes with Win7, which I would like to replace with Linux, preferably Ubuntu. Does anyone have any experience with this device?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    18

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    My daughter has this computer and she also wants to run Ubuntu. I tried to install it through Wubi with no luck. Windows 7 doesn't like the wubi installer at all. On reboot into ubuntu I got an all black screen then after powering down and rebooting again I couldn't boot into ubuntu at all it would just dump me to a grub prompt. I haven't tried Usb stick yet that will be my next attempt. But I really do like this netbook and am interested to see how multi-touch works in Ubuntu (or if it works at all ) it's actually not that bad running win 7 but i know i'm gonna hate it once i have to renew all the crap that came with it lol .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    99

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    Thanks for the info. I see that the S10-3t does not have a CD-ROM, which would mean booting Ubuntu from USB or PXE, and avoid booting Win7 altogether. Have you tried that?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    6

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    I bought this laptop 2 weeks ago, while it is a great machine under win7, ubuntu is still a little lacking.
    Touchscreen does not work at all, I have tried everything I could think of and everything i could find through google.
    Built in wireless card does not work either, I had to dig out my usb dongle to get online, although the hardline connection works just fine.

    Now if you dont mind having to use an extra wireless card and not being able to use the touch screen it works perfectly fine under ubuntu

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    I have the S10-3t and also would like to install Linux on it. I have tried Karmic Koala standard and Netbook Remix versions by using an SD card with UNetbootin.

    It boots fine and everything seems to work except the wifi and the touchscreen, which happens to be pretty much the whole point of this netbook.

    Lenovo has provided little to no documentation on this machine and windows 7's Device Manager is essentially useless as per usual. The wifi card is a Broadcom 4313 and as Broadcom is not exactly Open Source Friendly, this will be a bit of a challenge, but not too entirely difficult.

    There are a couple solutions to getting wifi working. One is to use the drivers provided by Broadcom. You can download the source at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php. According to the readme file Ubuntu already has these drivers precompiled in their repos.

    Another possibility is to use ndiswrapper. Although ndiswrapper is present, some other things need to be set up to get it working. The instructions to do that are at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper.

    Since the only drivers that Lenovo provides for this netbook are for windows 7, you are going to have to look elsewhere for drivers. I have found windows xp drivers for the Compaq Mini at http://www.userdrivers.com/Notebook-...s-XP/download/ which may or may not work. I haven't tried it yet.

    As far as the touch screen goes, windows 7's Device Manager lists this as "HID-compliant device" and uses the driver file "c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ApsHM86.sys." I'm yet to find an actual name of the device or the manufacturer. This may be a stretch, but could it be possible to extrapolate the drivers from the already functional "Quick Start?"

    Anyway, I'm going to continue trying to get this thing working, and update if I make any significant progress.
    Last edited by thevillage88; February 26th, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Punctuation and Grammar

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    6

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    Quote Originally Posted by thevillage88 View Post
    I have the S10-3t and also would like to install Linux on it. I have tried Karmic Koala standard and Netbook Remix versions by using an SD card with UNetbootin.

    It boots fine and everything seems to work except the wifi and the touchscreen, which happens to be pretty much the whole point of this netbook.

    Lenovo has provided little to no documentation on this machine and windows 7's Device Manager is essentially useless as per usual. The wifi card is a Broadcom 4313 and as Broadcom is not exactly Open Source Friendly, this will be a bit of a challenge, but not too entirely difficult.

    There are a couple solutions to getting wifi working. One is to use the drivers provided by Broadcom. You can download the source at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php. According to the readme file Ubuntu already has these drivers precompiled in their repos.

    Another possibility is to use ndiswrapper. Although ndiswrapper is present, some other things need to be set up to get it working. The instructions to do that are at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper.

    Since the only drivers that Lenovo provides for this netbook are for windows 7, you are going to have to look elsewhere for drivers. I have found windows xp drivers for the Compaq Mini at http://www.userdrivers.com/Notebook-...s-XP/download/ which may or may not work. I haven't tried it yet.

    As far as the touch screen goes, windows 7's Device Manager lists this as "HID-compliant device" and uses the driver file "c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ApsHM86.sys." I'm yet to find an actual name of the device or the manufacturer. This may be a stretch, but could it be possible to extrapolate the drivers from the already functional "Quick Start?"

    Anyway, I'm going to continue trying to get this thing working, and update if I make any significant progress.
    I tried using ndiswrapper, it would install the windows driver, but then it would complain about not being able to see the hardware. At first I thought the toggle switch on the side of the netbook was turned off, but that wasn't the case. I will try the link for the drivers you posted, maybe I will have better luck with those.

    From what I have been able to determine about the touch screen, it seems it is made by a Korean manufacturer www.digitechsys.co.kr they have an english site, but it is still mostly in Korean, and I have not found any drivers on their site, you might have better luck than I did

    I would really like to see the touch screen work, as the UNR interface just screams for a touch screen, the wireless I can live with having to use my usb dongle for now if I can not get the built in card to work.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    36

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    i'm suggesting to use this package.

    in install.sh i added some debug info. i mean, while script is running, beside of work he is doing he writes what he is doing, that may be useful. and also i've added in that script check for /etc/X11/xorg.conf. if the file exists then script copies it as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak and only then installs it's own xorg.conf.

    because hidtouch is compiling without --prefix, which means that it's prefix is /usr/local and lib for xorg will lie in /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input, i've updated xorg.conf too.

    i've wanted to add some check for packages xorg-xserver-dev and build-essentials also. i mean, if there already are in system then don't run apt-get but i couldn't do it.
    here is new package. download
    Last edited by zythar; April 16th, 2010 at 04:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    37

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    Whenever i try to download the file, it downloads zero bytes. Can you possibly upload it elsewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by zythar View Post
    i'm suggesting to use this package.

    in install.sh i added some debug info. i mean, while script is running, beside of work he is doing he writes what he is doing, that may be useful. and also i've added in that script check for /etc/X11/xorg.conf. if the file exists then script copies it as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak and only then installs it's own xorg.conf.

    because hidtouch is compiling without --prefix, which means that it's prefix is /usr/local and lib for xorg will lie in /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input, i've updated xorg.conf too.

    i've wanted to add some check for packages xorg-xserver-dev and build-essentials also. i mean, if there already are in system then don't run apt-get but i couldn't do it.
    here is new package. download

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    36

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    Quote Originally Posted by ehabh View Post
    Whenever i try to download the file, it downloads zero bytes. Can you possibly upload it elsewhere?
    hm.. i tried to download it, right now and it was downloaded normally.
    anyway, here is new link: http://url.file.am/?CaGAA.

    when i compiled kernel with suggested edit of hid-cando.c (which was on 9 page) and added /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi touchscreen worked normal.
    but when i restarted something went wrong.
    when i touch to screen mouse pointer goes to upper-left corner of screen.
    also, lshal | grep -i input.x11_driver has no output.
    it means that hald doesn't read fdi file correctly?
    Last edited by zythar; April 21st, 2010 at 08:23 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    37

    Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t

    Thanks for the new upload the file just downloaded now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •