Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala UNR on Asus EeePC 900a

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala UNR on Asus EeePC 900a

As I have received the question several times in the last couple of weeks I would like to post here a small manual of the modifications necessary in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala UNR to run smoothly on an Asus EeePC 900a - at least on my one.

The original Ubuntu installation had the following two problems:
    1. The WiFi/wireless key on the keyboard was not working properly
    2. The microphone did not work properly

1. WiFi/wireless key on the keyboard
    I was able to switch the wireless off but when switching it on I had to restart the computer before I was able to reconnect to the wireless network.

All I had to do was pass the following parameters to the kernel command line:
    pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll=1

The detailed steps:

1. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

2. edit the line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and change it to:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll=1 quiet splash"

3. sudo update-grub2

4. Restart the system

Now you can toggle WiFi/wireless on and off - you get reconnected to the wireless when you switch it on again.

2. Adjusting the microphone
    The microphone had a lot of background noise and the usage of Skype/Ekiga was not possible with the original setting.

I had to ajust the ALSA configuration file (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf) in order to solve this issue

The detailed steps:
    1. sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

2. Search in the file whether a line including 'snd-hda-intel' exists, if so please delete that line

3. Add the following two lines to the configuration file:
    ===start here===
    # eeePC 900a patch
    options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=quanta
    ===end here===

4. Restart the system.

With these two changes my Asus EeePC 900a works very well with Ubuntu. Currently I only have some trouble with my UMTS device from Huawei (the E5830). Apart from that everything works very well and I like Ubuntu 9.10 a lot. I am looking forward to the Ubuntu 10.04
    Last edited by Sven6210; May 17th, 2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo