Quote Originally Posted by Jvaldezjr View Post
    [...]so my lunix machine can communicate with my windows computers,[...]
    You use Lunix too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Linux Core Help

http://tldp.org/

remember that there is lots more auto configuration these days. there not much point in learning how to write an xorg.conf, because modern xorg auto-detects everything. (if xorg miss detects your system, then it is better that the auto-detection code if fixed, rather than you learn to manually configure it).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post

remember that there is lots more auto configuration these days. there not much point in learning how to write an xorg.conf, because modern xorg auto-detects everything.
    In a perfect world, that might be true..but it's not true in a large percentage of cases.
    (if xorg miss detects your system, then it is better that the auto-detection code if fixed, rather than you learn to manually configure it).
    Interesting opinion. Common sense would dictate otherwise. If one is capable of properly configuring an xorg.conf file, then they will not have to wait for upstream developers to 'fix' xorg /hal/whatever for their hardware.
    Seems like the difference between being able to actually use a system, or giving up completely and choosing ignorance instead.

To the OP: Using a distro like Arch, Slackware or LFS will force you to interact more with the underlying software that actually makes up a GNU/Linux OS. If you want to learn, and you actually 'hang in there', the system configuration and maintenance on these distros will gain you a familiarity with the basic tools, methods and procedures common to the core of all distros and leave you a more capable *nix user.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    You use Lunix too?
    Yes LOL Lunix is even more uber than Linux!
    "It's not about who I am..., but what I do that defines me."
    "Our choices make us who we are, and we always have a choice to do what
    is right."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

To the OP: Using a distro like Arch, Slackware or LFS will force you to interact more with the underlying software that actually makes up a GNU/Linux OS. If you want to learn, and you actually 'hang in there', the system configuration and maintenance on these distros will gain you a familiarity with the basic tools, methods and procedures common to the core of all distros and leave you a more capable *nix user.
    That was my goal with my post and exactly what I'm looking for. I'll probably start playing with Arch when I can get my drives repartitioned. Thanks for the advice!
    is right."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OMG that was amazingly easy. I have a base Arch system installed and it took about 45 minutes. I understood everything and was even capable of configuring my current grub menu to add arch to it, without fear of wiping my boot record. I logged in and checked my network config, which is up and running fine as well, so I am good to go! I feel very confident I can get this system running the way I want and I believe I may totally switch over now. Thanks for the advice and assistance!
    is right."

Beans

remember this: just because everything is going smooth now doesn't mean it always will. don't update when you have something unrelated you need to accomplish an hour later. as soon as a developer declares something stable, it get's pushed to Arch users when they update... not every developer's definition of 'stable' is the same.

and familiarize yourself with the AUR - the default repos aren't nearly as well stocked as ubuntu's.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The other reason I'm consiering a change, is that often when I need to upgrade a particular application, I have a couple of choices: If it's not up to date in the repos or backports, then I have to either update ubuntu to get a newer app version from the repos, or install form source. I don't mind installing from source, but it can be difficult trying to work out all the dependencies, expecially if the current ones I have installed are older and updating certain libraries end up breaking my system.

I still have some more things to research with Arch, but I'm more just suprised about the level of confidence I have with my Linux skills. I'm not totally there yet, but I think this was a big step!
    is right."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I bought a "Practical Guide To Ubuntu Linux" and it come with Ubuntu Linux 8.10. If you have time to read you can try this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12