Thread: internet freezing

Beans

internet freezing

hp dc5000mt, newly installed ubuntu linux from internet. installed alongside windows xp prof. using maxpower 802.11n usb stick as wireless internet connection. driver from windows. connection is recognized and transmitting. firefox opens home page, no problem. when i google a subject, the screen will fill up with the search info but the "spinning ball" keeps going. i cannot click on any of the entries and navigate to that site. as well, i can open a new tab and the home site comes right up, but a search on the new tab will yield a blank screen and a never ending spinning ball. ideas? suggestions?

thanks up front

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: internet freezing

You have problems when you google anything but what happens if you type the URL of a web directly? Can you see the web without any problem?

Beans

Re: internet freezing

when i type in the web address, i get no connection, just the spinning ball. and, i just downloaded the recommended updates from ubuntu, which i did not think would download, but they did, only at a really slow speed. like 50kbs. so i opened the system monitor to watch the speed when i click "home page". it spikes at 60kbs then falls flat while the little ball keeps spinning. fyi, its not always that i get a clean connection to the ubuntu home page. i will sometimes get only the google box but cannot do anything with it. i have restarted on xp and the net works fine. any help would be most appreciated as i am at the end of my list of tricks.