Thread: medicated dd usage, not recommended

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

medicated dd usage, not recommended

When one, such as myself is taking medication known to cause confusion it may be a good idea not to use the dd command. Say if someone has an iso image, a 4GB USB stick and a 1TB external drive which contains all ones valuable data. Despite checking twice and making sure one selected the correct device node as the output.

Just in theory one might be wrong and have nuked ones carefully collected data over many many years.

Medication and dd.. they don't mix children.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: medicated dd usage, not recommended

Beans

Ouch.

Hopefully one, such as yourself, has a backup or some good forensic tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cammin View Post
    Ouch.

Hopefully one, such as yourself, has a backup or some good forensic tools.
    Well one such as myself does in fact have a 750 GB backup drive but as it happens in preparation for moving to Brazil later this year, one has been be lending that drive out to a friend who is inherenting an old computer so he could move data back and forth.

Luckily my friend just texted me and said that he did not in fact delete any data from that drive so there is perhaps some data to be recovered. Though I will still lose data I intentionally removed from that drive before sending out of the house such as a couple of thousand photos, the writing project I was working on, backups of important files for close beta testing.

I can probably recover maybe 200-300 GB from that drive of archived movies and TV shows... reencoding those, especially on this dual core atom chip is going to suck.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

In a different situation, though still using dd, I found that in cloning multiple partitions that were using a variety of different file systems, dd failed to fulfil my requirements.

For my next attempt I used Clonezilla. & it worked.

I was using multiple partitions that were using a combination of the following file systems: fat32, HFS+, ext3, JFS.

It was a tough job, dd couldn't do it but Clonezilla could, & Clonezilla was really easy to use.

You know which application that I will choose for the job next time, I expect?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Currently I can empathize with your plight. I'm suffering from insomnia caused by either withdraw from a medication or the latent effects of coming off a medication. Two seperate medications and I don't know which has muddled the works. I forgot the simple command yesterday e2fsck. For some reason my brain kept typing e2fdisk. UUGHHH.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've done that before, minus the medication part.

It sucks. It really does.