Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Linux distro would you recommend for a netbook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What Linux distro would you recommend for a netbook?

Hi all.

Been a long time since I last visited this forum because ive done a lot of work that required windows apps. But now I have bought a Lenovo IdeaPad S10e, and I want a light linux distro on it to make it run smoother. So my question is which distro would be best? I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu Remix,but is there a better one or would you recommend using normal Ubuntu?

Thanks.
    -Jacob

Beans

Re: What Linux distro would you recommend for a netbook?

Ubuntu Netbook Remix if you like the "launcher" or plain old Ubuntu if you like the Gnome desktop.

And of course, use the Search feature to see what kind of problems/issues other users with the same hardware have experienced.

At this point in history, all of the major distros (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/Arch/etc.) have pretty good netbook support. So go with what you like (I'm typing this from Fedora 12 on my Asus eee).

Beans

just grab unetbootin, do a couple of usb's & try it, see what you like.

Beans

Do you want something "light" or do you want something more suited to a small display?

I vote #! Crunchbang Linux for the first and UNR or Ubuntu with Gnome Shell for the latter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I went with Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix (UNR) as it has several packages optimized for netbooks not included in ubuntu-desktop; similarly, Ubuntu desktop includes some packages that are generally superfluous to netbooks.

I preferred kubuntu-netbook over the Launcher of straight UNR, but I kept UNR after disabling the Launcher interface. Now I run just about everything out of the 'Main Menu' panel applet or in a drop-down terminal (guake).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu Netbook Remix or SLAX [if you like KDE].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the answers. I think that i will go with UNR if it is possible to diable the "launcher" and just use a plain desktop like in the desktop version of Ubuntu.?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by czepluch View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I think that i will go with UNR if it is possible to diable the "launcher" and just use a plain desktop like in the desktop version of Ubuntu.?
    Why not just install the desktop version of Ubuntu in the first place? The only unique "feature" of UNR is the launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Why not just install the desktop version of Ubuntu in the first place? The only unique "feature" of UNR is the launcher.
    Thought remix ran a bit lighter than desktop version. Just started formatting to Remix now, so hopefully I can do almost the same things in remix as in desktop version, or am i wrong?

Beans

I went with the stock 9.04 install to an SDHC card (found all the hardware on my eee 900). It performs very nicely.

*** Beware of 9.10 though if you have a solid state drive in your netbook. There is some evidence that Grub 2 will murder the SSD.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=78939

The explanation is given further along in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast