Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSX Running On My Starling

Beans

Thumbs down OSX Running On My Starling

I know the System76 guys don't advocate this at all, and if this is inappropriate to be posting here we can close this thread whenever. But...

I've got OSX running flawlessly on my Starling. Its quick, sound, microphone, webcam, wifi and everything all work without a hitch. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of the whole process. So here's what I did:

1. Made a boot USB key using the instructions at http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml including the update to 10.6.2. The thing just booted up and installed itself real easy. But...

2. Wifi and sound were both broken. oh no! So I headed over to http://kexts.com/ via my ethernet connection, which was working fine. I downloaded OSX86Tools from the programs section and the VoodooHDA.kext extension from the audio section.

I did some googling then and came across a thread at http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/offic...release-t5472/ that gives a link to some patched audio drivers for the board that the Starling uses. Well on my way now, so I...

3. Found a guide at http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/02/w...-install-kext/ that details how to install .kext extensions via the terminal and got to work. Once both the Audio and Wifi drivers were copied to the right spots, I used OSX86Tools to clear the OS's extension cache and restarted.

And that's it. It took a good five or six minutes to start because of the empty extension cache (it starts much faster after the first initial boot), but when it did my sound was back, wifi connected itself to my home network, and here I am, typing up this thread on my OSX86 Starling.

Edit: First post ever. Nice to meet you.

Beans

Re: OSX Running On My Starling

Decided to add a screenshot for proof. Check out the "About this mac..." Dialog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Nice! I wonder if this would work in VirtualBox... Also why is the site Netbook specific? Could this work on regular laptops or desktops?

Though I've used Linux since the 90's, I moved my primary system from Linux to OSX around 2005 but then back to Linux last year with my PanP5. I still love OSX and would enjoy having it at my fingertips for iLife and other apps, but I'd rather not blow away my entire system to experiment with trying to make it work.

Also one problem I always read with OSX on non-Mac systems is it won't always control the fans properly, so overheating can be a problem. Just watch your temps unless your Netbook doesn't have any fans

Take care and kudos! I might need to start researching this myself.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Also one problem I always read with OSX on non-Mac systems is it won't always control the fans properly, so overheating can be a problem. Just watch your temps unless your Netbook doesn't have any fans
    Maybe that's just a flaw in Mac OS X. My MBP would always get HOT! I had to run an application called SMC Fan Controller that would keep the fans on the system running at a minimum speed just to keep it cool.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Email/XMMP - noahduffy@fastmail.net

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
    Maybe that's just a flaw in Mac OS X. My MBP would always get HOT! I had to run an application called SMC Fan Controller that would keep the fans on the system running at a minimum speed just to keep it cool.
    The MB drivers help control the fans, so if your system doesn't have what it needs or is running generic drivers the fans might not work. This was a huge problem on the Intel-based Macs when people started loading Windows on them, and now on non-Mac hardware when OSX is installed.

Just something to keep an eye on and another reason I'd prefer to run it virtually.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans

The fan problem is indeed a recurring one with osx86 systems, but it appears to work okay with the starling. So far at least

As for the site, it's just the one I used. Hackintosh.com has how-to's and tutorials for just about any kind of system, including desktops and larger laptops. The netbook specific site is necessary as it includes instructions on how to make a USB boot drive.

And here's a nice testament to System76's excellent hardware choices: My little HackBook running Steam and Half-Life through Crossover Wine:

And Logic Studio Pro 9:

It also runs the mac version of Halo well, SixtyForce (an N64 emulator) and PCSX (playstation games) all fairly well.

Beans

That's pretty awesome. I still keep a Mac for my desktop, so I don't need to run OS X on my Starling.

I didn't even think Half-Life would work on the hardware a Starling has. That's pretty awesome. I haven't played Half-life in years. I might have to look into playing it again.

Beans

Talking Re: OSX Running On My Starling

Slow golf clap starts

Congrats, stuff like this proves us linux guys know what we are talking about no matter what OS. We all prefer our linux #1 but there is stuff on Mac that is nice to have as well as nice things on XP. I use to have a powerbook that was very nice for video and audio creation. And I still use my XP partition to download Audiobooks from audible.

So congrats again. You are part of the elite few that could run anything from one place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Taxadermist Now View Post
    I've got OSX running flawlessly on my Starling. Its quick, sound, microphone, webcam, wifi and everything all work without a hitch. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of the whole process.
    :O

I wish i was in america so i could buy one, i have tried unsuccessfully to hackintosh my Eeepc 1000HE for ages!!
    EeePC 1000HE Xubuntu 10.04
    Thinkpad R61 14" Gentoo
    iMac G5 Xubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I offer my congratulations on getting a working Hackintosh running, but I really don't approve of anything OSX has to offer at all.

A few main reasons:
    • First off, OS X shuts the user out of the system. So sure, it's UNIX. But can you really say that, given that all of the appeal of UNIX is lost?

• Does suspend (sleep) work? That seems to be a big bugger.

• If i really wanted to use Mac, I'd use a Mac. PC's are for Linux, Macs are for OS X. That's just the way it is. That's why a PC running OS X is a hackintosh.

• OS X is closed source. I avoid it at if I can (Drivers excluded.)
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast