Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

I can see why Dell might have some concerns about choosing one distribution over another, not that it makes much difference to most Linux users.

But each new PC I've had recently came with 2 or 3 CD's with drivers for Motherboard, Graphics Card, if it's got windows installed a windows CD.

So why not put an ubuntu/fedora/opensuse etc CD in to the box as well. You put in the CD of the distribution you want to install (based on some leaflet or descriptions on the CD cases about what the differences are between distributions). Then you can select an automatic install (just pick the country your living in) and press some button halfway though the install if you want to go into an advanced mode and edit partitions etc.

Cons are that you couldn't offer/advertise out the box support, and you couldn't offer the same support service if theres multiple distributions being used so dell would have to only support the hardware/drivers. (unless just the one supported CD/distribution that is 'tested' with that hardware and just a list of websites to get other distributions that aren't tested or are tested but not included)

Pros its easier to add another CD into the box if some new really popular distribution comes along (probably with some requirements on the ease of the installer and the drivers working out the box first), no need to remove an existing OS (not that it's much hassle anyway).

Personally I think having linux with X and a nice selection of builtin app's preloaded is more attractive than putting freedos preloaded onto the dell pc's. (I wonder just how many of those PC's still have freedos on after they are delivered ) but trying to think of alternatives.

Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Hi,

I see a lot of doubting and "why not do this, that or the other thing". The key point for me is that Dell might sell me a complete system without anything MS on it and I won't have to pay the MS tax. If there is an honest difference in price between the naked model and the MS model I would be interested. It just happens that Dell is my own personal preference for a prepackaged PC of all the 'major' brands. In reality, I buy a sack full of parts and assemble my own computers to get the best price AND avoid the Microsoft tax.

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if dell isnt sure which distro to "support" all they need to do is make sure that all the hardware that they ship has kernel level open source drivers.

I think that they arent that far from it, I have three dell laptops in my pool of pcs that I support of varying makes and models, and none of them have hardware detection issues in ubuntu.

everything on my dell laptops just works

I dont know if that is because dell and ubuntu work out bugs together,or if dell is pushing code for thier hardware into the kernel.

I hope they are improving thier entire lineup by pushing code into the kernel and selecting linux compatible hardware when possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123