Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asus EEE PC 1005PE Brightness keys change dimming randomly

Beans

Re: Asus EEE PC 1005PE Brightness keys change dimming randomly

Quote Originally Posted by dpwegener@gmail.com View Post
    After making this change, the brightness still wasn't completely consistent and there was never a popup showing the brightness level on the screen. Adding "acpi_backlight=vendor" to grub solved the problem completely. Now, the brightness changes as expected and you see the brightness level popup.

My GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line now looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor splash"
    Great,Solve my problem too. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dpwegener@gmail.com View Post
    After making this change, the brightness still wasn't completely consistent and there was never a popup showing the brightness level on the screen. Adding "acpi_backlight=vendor" to grub solved the problem completely. Now, the brightness changes as expected and you see the brightness level popup.

My GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line now looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor splash"
    Has anyone found a way to add this permanently to grub rather than adding every time the notebook starts
    ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm curious to know if anyone else tried upgrading the BIOS to fix this problem. (See my previous post.)

It's possible that this will only work with 10.04. I haven't had any problems out of 10.04, so I can recommend both upgrades, especially together.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by drkages View Post
    Has anyone found a way to add this permanently to grub rather than adding every time the notebook starts
    ?
    Add it to /etc/default/grub, then "update-grub".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finnk View Post
    this will make the brightness keys work:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add "acpi_osi=Linux" so it looks like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux". Save the file. Now run update-grub2.

sudo update-grub2

But gnome power manager still randomly changes the backlight. I disabled it from startup, and start it from the command line when i want to suspend on closing the lid.

Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fbicknel View Post
    I'm curious to know if anyone else tried upgrading the BIOS to fix this problem. (See my previous post.)

It's possible that this will only work with 10.04. I haven't had any problems out of 10.04, so I can recommend both upgrades, especially together.
    Hi everyone! I'ne got 900AX, and the same problem
    I tryed both BIOS upgrade and grub configuration - none work for me(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello finnk

I am new and an novice in Linux/Ubuntu, having just migrated my desktop & 2 laptops from Win OS; having done so made me experience some difficult (for me) issues and one of that is this BRIGHTNESS thing.

Thank you very much for your excellent solution!

I'm starting to believe that Linux-people are geniuses - for how else can an ordinary mortal figure this things out?

May your tribe multiply!

regards from Manila,
    egay

.e.

PS: I am going to post this solution in my BLOG at http;//ezdapiton.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by finnk View Post
    this will make the brightness keys work:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add "acpi_osi=Linux" so it looks like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux". Save the file. Now run update-grub2.

sudo update-grub2

But gnome power manager still randomly changes the backlight. I disabled it from startup, and start it from the command line when i want to suspend on closing the lid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123