Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE PC 1005PE Brightness keys change dimming randomly

Beans

Re: Asus EEE PC 1005PE Brightness keys change dimming randomly

I have a 1005HA, ubuntu 9.10 and the only problem is with the wired network after resuming ... no other problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ndrbvl View Post
    @MilitantPotato
    You mentioned a network issue leaving standby. I probably have the same problem, but I couldn't find any info to solve it, nor anyone reporting the same issue (so far). In my case, ethernet does not resume correctly. After suspend, the wired network does not work, nor it does the wireless, if I try to turn it on. The ethernet hardware is not recognized any more...

Thanks!
    I have the same problem, and could not find a fix for it...

Paolo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My googling turned up that it's a kernel issue. I tried modifying the acpi script, to kill and re-start networking, that did nothing.
    Unfortunately suspend and hibernate are completely broken for me now, not sure what I did.

Beans

I tried to restart the network service from xterm after suspend, but it does not work. The only "fix" is to reboot. The other day the update manager popped up with a kernel update to version 2.6.31-20 (btw I run Ubuntu Remix 9.10). I hoped that that would fix the suspend issue, but unfortunately nothing changed. On the other hand, there's a new bug with the audio, but it's something I can live with (and it's another story).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finnk View Post
    this will make the brightness keys work:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add "acpi_osi=Linux" so it looks like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux". Save the file. Now run update-grub2.

sudo update-grub2

But gnome power manager still randomly changes the backlight. I disabled it from startup, and start it from the command line when i want to suspend on closing the lid.
    After making this change, the brightness still wasn't completely consistent and there was never a popup showing the brightness level on the screen. Adding "acpi_backlight=vendor" to grub solved the problem completely. Now, the brightness changes as expected and you see the brightness level popup.

My GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line now looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor splash"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dpwegener@gmail.com View Post
    After making this change, the brightness still wasn't completely consistent and there was never a popup showing the brightness level on the screen. Adding "acpi_backlight=vendor" to grub solved the problem completely. Now, the brightness changes as expected and you see the brightness level popup.

My GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line now looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor splash"
    Thanks!! Really solved the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I posted some threads but i will try also here. Anyone has fancontrol running under Ubuntu 10.04 and Asus 1005PE? If yes, how?

Thanks
    MacBook Pro7,1, Ubuntu 11.04 64bit

Beans

Thanks It worked Perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With 10.04, I noticed the same screwiness with the brightness. I upgraded the BIOS to 1103 and it now works perfectly. Fan seems more reasonable too.

Edit: Should have mentioned that this is 10.04 netbook edition

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantPotato View Post
    Good stuff Finnk.

Gnome power manager is still sorta screwy, cycles through the brightness levels 3 times, but at least there some order to it. Thanks a lot! FN keys work perfectly though.

Other than having to manually make a fancontrol file and a network issue leaving standby, ubuntu has been nearly flawless on the EEEPC for me. Great job all the devs out there.
    Replying to you and all others with Asus netbooks and even notebooks........you might want to look into EEEBUNTU. This was put together for Asus netbooks since there was so much trouble configuring everything like wi-fi, sound, function keys, etc. Custom kernel that just seems to work on Asus machines with extremely little if any configuring. On my 900 netbook, everything worked perfectly right from the install except for my sound which required moving the sliders to the proper position which took almost 30 seconds to figure out. The EEEBUNTU uses Ubuntu 9.04.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast