Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

Thanks for the quick reply however!
    I went to your link and it says:
    "STOP PRESS: As of the update providing kernel 2.6.32-22 Wifi appears to work out of the box, thus rendering this article redundant."

My problem started recently. I did notice the problem with the wi-fi and I believe it to be fixed with the above mentioned update. I'll try the fix just to be sure over the weekend unless anyone here thinks it to be redundant.

Again thank y'all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by colinkingswood View Post
    http://blog.zorinholdings.com/post/5...h-ubuntu-10-04

This page has a better description of how to install the driver (the link above deoesn't decribe how to remove the ubuntu driver). Installing the Realtek driver stoped my connection dropping as often and I get a better reception. I had to reinstall it after a kernel update though, as it went back to using the Ubuntu driver.

thanks a lot mate! was waiting for a tutorial!
    it worked, after a bit of here and there!
    ~akshay!

Basingstoke, Uk, probably the worst place in the wrold
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by lovefro View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply however!
    I went to your link and it says:
    "STOP PRESS: As of the update providing kernel 2.6.32-22 Wifi appears to work out of the box, thus rendering this article redundant."

My problem started recently. I did notice the problem with the wi-fi and I believe it to be fixed with the above mentioned update. I'll try the fix just to be sure over the weekend unless anyone here thinks it to be redundant.

Again thank y'all
    Hi Lovefro, I know the article says it works out of the box - it does, but not as well. Having used the official Realtek driver for a while now it definitely works better. I noticed that the reception went down after upgrading the kernel (and reverting to the old driver).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Good news everyone!
    I finally got my hands on the new Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 NV12YMD, that became available here on thursday.
    Primary new features are Intel Core i3-380UM 1.33GHz and 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-10600).

***IMPORTANT BATTERY FIRMWARE UPDATE ONLY APPLICABLE FROM WINDOWS***

There is an important firmware update for the battery that you, at the moment, can only install from windows. Make sure you install it before you purge windows from your harddrive.
    Version 1.02
    [Important] Fixed an issue where the battery indicated incorrect full charge capacity then the battery life might be reduced.
    You can install the update with this utility, or from the preinstalled ThinkVantage Toolbox.
    Based on this link, I don't think there's any other way of doing the update.

Specifications and version information
    • Hardware 1 - lshw
      Code:
      lshw -short:
      H/W path             Device     Class          Description
      ==========================================================
                                      system         02172YG
      /0                              bus            02172YG
      /0/0                            memory         117KiB BIOS
      /0/4                            processor      Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       U 
      /0/4/5                          memory         32KiB L1 cache
      /0/4/6                          memory         256KiB L2 cache
      /0/4/7                          memory         3MiB L3 cache
      /0/1b                           memory         4GiB System Memory
      /0/1b/0                         memory         2GiB SODIMM Synchronous 1334 MHz 
      /0/1b/1                         memory         2GiB SODIMM Synchronous 1334 MHz 
      /0/100                          bridge         Core Processor DRAM Controller
      /0/100/2                        display        Core Processor Integrated Graphic
      /0/100/16                       communication  5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI
      /0/100/1a                       bus            5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2
      /0/100/1b                       multimedia     5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High
      /0/100/1c                       bridge         5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI 
      /0/100/1c.1                     bridge         5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI 
      /0/100/1c.1/0        wlan0      network        Centrino Wireless-N 1000
      /0/100/1c.4                     bridge         5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI 
      /0/100/1c.5                     bridge         5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI 
      /0/100/1c.5/0        eth0       network        RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
      /0/100/1d                       bus            5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2
      /0/100/1e                       bridge         82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
      /0/100/1f                       bridge         Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Inter
      /0/100/1f.2          scsi0      storage        5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 po
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0    /dev/sda   disk           500GB WDC WD5000BEVT-0
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/1  /dev/sda1  volume         121MiB EXT4 volume
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2  /dev/sda2  volume         19GiB EXT4 volume
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/3  /dev/sda3  volume         438GiB EXT4 volume
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/4  /dev/sda4  volume         7812MiB Linux swap volume
      /0/100/1f.3                     bus            5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBu
      /0/100/1f.6                     generic        5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Ther
      /0/101                          bridge         Core Processor QuickPath Architec
      /0/102                          bridge         Core Processor QuickPath Architec
      /0/103                          bridge         Core Processor QPI Link 0
      /0/104                          bridge         Core Processor QPI Physical 0
      /0/105                          bridge         Core Processor Reserved
      /0/106                          bridge         Core Processor Reserved
      /0/1                 scsi5      storage        
      /0/1/0.0.0           /dev/sdb   disk           SCSI Disk
    • Hardware 2 - lspci
      Code:
      lspci:
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
      00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
      00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
      00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
      00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev 06)
      00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev 06)
      00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
      00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
      00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
      03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000
      09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
      ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
      ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
      ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
      ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
      ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
      ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
    • Ubuntu version
      Code:
      lsb_release -a:
      No LSB modules are available.
      Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
      Description:	Ubuntu 10.10
      Release:	10.10
      Codename:	maverick
    • Kernel
      Code:
      uname -a:
      Linux HOSTNAME 2.6.35-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 10 09:26:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Functionality

No major problems, all function buttons, networking, suspend, webcam and wifi works.

BIOS
    The system uses a new BIOS, version starts with 84, see below.
    Code:
    *-firmware
              description: BIOS
              vendor: LENOVO
              physical id: 0
              version: 84ET20WW (1.04 ) (08/09/2010)
              size: 117KiB
              capacity: 4032KiB
              capabilities: pci pnp upgrade shadowing escd cdboot acpi usb biosboots
    Hibernation
    Works, albeit very slowly. Might be due to low swappiness.

Microphone
    Works after unmuting, had to increase input volume to max to be audible in skype.

Sound
    Fix still works. Append
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=olpc-xo-1_5
    to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

TouchPad/TrackPoint
    TrackPoint scrolling works via gpointing-device-settings after following this guide.
    Haven't got two-finger scrolling working yet. Have disabled TouchPad in favor of TrackPoint because of this.
    gpointing-device-settings are forgotten after suspend, but work after reboot. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...gs/+bug/489830

Wireless-N
    Is currently software disabled, works after applying the solution from this post. The Intel Centrino Wireless-N only operates in the 2.4GHz sprectrum, although 300Mbps is theoretically possible I only achieve 65Mbps at the moment.

Not tested
    eSATA
    Bluetooth (Disabled)
    HDMI
    Qualcomm Gobi-2000 WWAN (Not detected?)
    VGA-out
    Last edited by usprey; November 21st, 2010 at 03:15 PM.

Beans

Suspend mode freeze Solution; The following worked for my thinkpad edge 13 intel (I did not update my bios)

Solution here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...97&postcount=4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the thinkpad edge AMD model. When plugging in after running from batter the system will freeze. Disabling CPU scaling in the bios prevents this, but battery life is very poor after. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks
    Registered linux user #453917

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This is a known bug with no solution yet. Pages 6 and 7 of this thread has discussions of this problem.

Beans

Hey, I still have many Problems with Ubuntu 10.10 and my Edge 11 AMD Version.
    On 24 or 25 of Dezember I made an auto-Update of Ubuntu, since this Update my Wifi does not work any longer. (Installed the Realtek Driver as descriped) I tried to install the driver again, but it dont solved my Problem. So I only have Internet connection via Ethernet.

(Other Problems: Sound via Headphones dont work and the internal Mic)

I am very bad in Ubuntu, so I would need something like an description for dummies

Thank u all for trieing to help me.

PS: I googled my problem but I dont found anything similuar, but I think it must be something, maybe my english is to bad to find the solution in other forums.

Beans

The fix to the headphone/speaker sound problem (appending an option to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf) didn't work for me. I made a work-around:
    Code:
    #! /usr/bin/env python
    # sound fix

import alsaaudio

# get speakers and headphones
    Speakers = alsaaudio.Mixer("Speaker")
    Headphones = alsaaudio.Mixer("Headphone")

# switch volumes
    if Speakers.getvolume()[0] == 0:
        newSpeakerVolume = 100
        newHeadphoneVolume = 0
    else:
        newSpeakerVolume = 0
        newHeadphoneVolume = 100

# set volumes
    Speakers.setvolume(newSpeakerVolume, alsaaudio.MIXER_CHANNEL_ALL)
    Headphones.setvolume(newHeadphoneVolume, alsaaudio.MIXER_CHANNEL_ALL
    with python-alsaaudio.
    Then I made a keyboard shortcut to run it. It seems to work pretty well so far.

Beans

@yyon
    First question is this proceder for "EDGE 11"?

I tried ur way, but I must do something wrong, first I installed python-alsaaudio, then I tipped the code into Terminal, but there come only errors...

Maybe u can tell me what I do wrong. (Tried to open the file manual, but I can not write there...)

I must say, I am very new on Ubuntu, excuse my stupid questions.

Thank U

PS. I postet 2 days ago something about my Wifi, maybe u can help me there to, or give me a Tip, where I can found help?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast