Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

found a solution by searching around. [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/554980]

just open terminal and copy:

xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 1 0
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LordChaos73 View Post

Don't forget to update the BIOS to the latest version:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-74581.html

Regards,

Eric
    Eric,

How did you get to update the bios? At the lenovo site there is a newer versin of bios (1.17/1.13) in .iso format, however I was not able to boot with it using a USB flash disk (tried writing it with unetbootin).

Fethi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the bios upgrade using grub2 works... it is described here BIOS Upgrade - ThinkWiki

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fethio View Post
    Eric,

How did you get to update the bios? At the lenovo site there is a newer versin of bios (1.17/1.13) in .iso format, however I was not able to boot with it using a USB flash disk (tried writing it with unetbootin).

Fethi
    USB stick doesn't work, I used an external DVD/RW drive instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some observations about performance. For the last three weeks, I've been running an in-house kernel compiled to include the dsdt file provided in http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...essions-6.html. My bios/ecp version was 1.12/1.04.

Before compiling with the provided dsdt file, I got an error after login, about not being able to use CPU frequency scaling. The dsdt included kernel got rid of that and I could see the change in CPU freq in idle times thru the panel CPU monitor.

However, that really did not have an impact on battery life, at least not as much as I thought it would. After I upgraded my BIOS/ECP firmware yesterday to version 1.18/1.09, I switched back to kernel without dsdt file override (hpoing that the 1.18 upgrade may have implemented a fix in the dsdt table). But nope, its still not fixed as I still get the CPU freq scaling error.

The interesting thing is there is virtually no difference in power rating between kernels with or without a dsdt override. The power consumption remains in the same level, around 21W.

Additionally, when I used a kernel with a dsdt override the backlight adjustment keys on the top row of the keyboard did not respond. Actually the level indicator appeared on the screen and the level changed as the key was pressed, however the actual brightness level did not change.

Another thing is when I close the lid and the machine goes to suspend, it wakes back up, but is totally unresponsive and requires a forced reboot by pressing the power button. This problem occured regardless of the type of kernels used (with or without the dsdt override), however it is fixed with the bios upgrade (to ver 1.18).

Overall, the battery drains fast as it feels, it takes less than two hours, at a rate of approx 21 W.

However, using the proprietary ATI catalyst driver reduces power rate to a band 12-14 W, representing a reduction of around 30% in comparison with the ubuntu's own ATI drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is everybody seeing a bluetooth adapter with this laptop in Ubuntu ? Mine seems not be detected...

Cheers,

Eric

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just got Ubuntu 10.04 running on my Edge 14 and I'm really enjoying it If you have time, can you guys submit your findings to the ThinkWiki? Here's an article I wrote.

Has anyone gotten hdaps working?
    Last edited by rCXer; July 2nd, 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

i have recently installed lucid on a thinkpad edge 13 " (intel core2duo)..
    almost everything i need worked out of the box..
    the most annoying problem: RESUME AFTER SUSPEND

the screen turns black, the red light (i) indicates sleep mode, but the fan continues to run and the machine is stuck and i need to switch it off.

does anybody have the same problem or knows a fix? i have read in this thread that resume after suspend works..

and another question: how to enable 2-finger-scrolling in a persistent way? restarting disables it.

thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by flo2010 View Post
    i have recently installed lucid on a thinkpad edge 13 " (intel core2duo)..
    almost everything i need worked out of the box..
    the most annoying problem: RESUME AFTER SUSPEND

the screen turns black, the red light (i) indicates sleep mode, but the fan continues to run and the machine is stuck and i need to switch it off.

does anybody have the same problem or knows a fix? i have read in this thread that resume after suspend works..

and another question: how to enable 2-finger-scrolling in a persistent way? restarting disables it.

thanks a lot!
    What is the version of your BIOS ?

Beans

1.14 / i ran a bios update 2 weeks ago
    Last edited by flo2010; July 8th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast