Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

hello!

ı have recently bought edge 13 amd version and installed 9.10ubuntu.

with skype 2.1 ı have the camera workıng ootb but not the mic. then i have installed pulse audio and it worked after restart (including sound recorder), but after talking on skype for afew minutes or less, it stoppes working.

all is fine after reboot and after the first call it stoppes again..

any ideas ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks like the same thing happening here. No ideas yet, sorry.

Beans

I have foundthis tutorial which allowed me to use trackpoint middle button scrolling, but the second part which is about press-to-select did not work for me cause theres no such file.. any ideas about that?

Code:
    1. Introduction

The TrackPoint is the red nub in the middle of the keyboard and the three buttons right below the keyboard. By default Press-To-Select, the process of pushing down on the TrackPoint to click, is turned off. Also, by default the TrackPoint's middle click performs the Paste function.

In this tutorial I will describe how to adjust these settings activate the middle click scroll and Press-To-Select similar to Windows.

2. Configure TrackPoint Middle Mouse Scroll

I wanted to configure the middle click on the TrackPoint to scroll just like in Windows so I used the following commands to achieve it.

2.1: Find the ID number for the TrackPoint

The first step is to find the xinput id number for the IBM TrackPoint. Run the following command.

xinput list

You should receive all the available devices for xinput. One of the devices should say:

"TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"    id=9    [XExtensionPointer]
        Type is MOUSE
        Num_buttons is 5
        Num_axes is 2
        Mode is Relative
        Motion_buffer is 256
        Axis 0 :
            Min_value is -1
            Max_value is -1
            Resolution is 1
        Axis 1 :
            Min_value is -1
            Max_value is -1
            Resolution is 1

Or something very similar. The "id=#" is the important number we will be using in the following commands. Later it will save the headache of typing that very long device name.

2.2: TrackPoint Middle Mouse Scroll

Next run the following commands to enable the middle mouse scroll.

xinput set-int-prop # "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 8 1
    xinput set-int-prop # "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 8 2
    xinput set-int-prop # "Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout" 16 200

*** Replace # with the id number for the TrackPoint from the previous command.

Now you should be able to middle scroll by pressing the middle mouse button for the TrackPoint and moving the TrackPoint up and down.

3. Enable Press-To-Select

Press-To-Select is the process on pushing down on the TrackPoint to click on objects.

In the directory "/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/" There is a file called "press-to-select". That is the file we will be focusing on.

3.1: Change directory

Open up the terminal and change the directory to "/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/"

cd /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/

3.2: Change Permissions of "press-to-select"

Change the permissions of the "pres-to-select" file to allow others modify the file.

sudo chmod o=rw ./press_to_select

3.3: Turn on/off Press-To-Select

To turn on/off Press-To-Select is just a matter of adding a 1 or 0 to the file.

~Turn Press-To-Select On~
    echo -n 1 >  /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/press_to_select

~Turn Press-To-Select Off~
    echo -n 0 >  /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/press_to_select

Now you should be able to click by pushing straight down slightly on the TrackPoint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thank you!!! This worked for my Thinkpad R61i after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx). After applying the 2.2 commands as mentioned, the middle mouse button now scrolls pages ... great and thank you!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all,

Bought the Thinkpad Edge 13 a few weeks ago (Intel model - 01962EG), here's what worked out of the box on 10.04 x86_64:

1. Wireless networking works fine, although the adapter doesn't detect my wireless N access point at home, need to look into that ( I have the same issue when running Windows 7 on this laptop)
    2. Webcam
    3. Sound, including mic
    4. Suspend / Resume
    5. Media player keys, brightness keys, volume keys

What didn't work:

1. Qualcomm Gobi 2000 WWAN adapter, I haven't looked into this yet, since I don't use it
    2. When a heaphone is plugged in, there's still sound coming out of the speakers. Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and reboot your machine to fix this:

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=olpc-xo-1_5
    3. Static noise and hissing in the background when a headphone is plugged in, this is OS independent and unfortunately looks like a design issue. I am in contact with Lenovo support on this, for me this is a major issue.
    4. Wireless "kill switch" key
    5. No Bluetooth adapter is detected
    6. Multitouch, including two-finger scrolling
    7. Trackpoint middle button, see post above this one

Output of lspci:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
    Don't forget to update the BIOS to the latest version:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-74581.html

Regards,

Eric
    Last edited by LordChaos73; June 3rd, 2010 at 10:37 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the headphone jack solution. My AMD Edge 13 works nearly perfectly after that (excluding the wireless killswitch and occasional lockups due the buggy WiFi driver).

With the DSDT patch (I had to recompile the kernel) and the latest BIOS, I got abot 17-19W power consumption which gives me about 2+ hours runtime. Nearly the same as under Windows.

Offtopic: Does anyone have problem with Lenovo battery gauge under Windows 7 saying "Battery not installed"? The integrated Windows indicator works great but the Lenovo's one reports this error. My drivers and ThinkVantage software are up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How do you check on your power consumption ? I get about 4,5 to 5 hrs of battery (wireless surfing, office tasks).

Beans

Using powertop or just simply by clicking the Gnome battery indicator. There are some battery information like number of cycles, capacity, and also the current power consumption displayed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by highlandsun View Post
    But I kept the 2.6.32.9 kernel that I built for Lucid with the DSDT patch.
    I have just got a ThinkPad Edge 13 (AMD) and installed Lucid on it. I am having problems with it just crashing - goes to a blank screen. So far this has happened frequently when the mains power is connected, but not when running on battery power.

I'm guessing that the power management is causing these crashes. Do you think that I need use the DSDT patch mentioned above?
    I have read this page but am wary of continuing as I have no experience of tinkering with the kernal.

Additionally I am having the above mentioned problems with the headphones and the trackpoint middle button, and will try the fixes mentioned above for these. The wireless is working fine.

My output for lscpi is:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
    01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)

Would really appreciate any help on the power/crashing issue

Beans

hi just bought a thinkpad edge 13 (intel SU 7300). installed ubuntu 10.04 everything seems to work fine except touchpad 2 finger scrolling

anyone know how to acivate two finger scrolling?

thnx

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast