Thread: Completely uninstall and reinstall Eclipse IDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Completely uninstall and reinstall Eclipse IDE

I am VERY NEW to Ubuntu and have only limited experience with Linux in general. (mostly command line for web dev)

I started using Eclipse a few days ago and today something went wrong. I can no longer create a project for Java. I have tried several times to uninstall and reinstall but nothing seems to fix the problem.

The question is, how do I completely uinstall Eclipse so there are no bones left around and then do a full reinstall so I can start creating Java packages again? I am just learning Eclipse so keep your instructions simple please. Thanks so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Completely uninstall and reinstall Eclipse IDE

to completely remove it, go to system-admin-synaptic package manager.
    then search for the eclipse package and right click it and select "mark for complete removal"
    then press apply to let the uninstall process start.
    after it has finished, right click the package and press mark for installation and press apply to reinstall
    Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans

Hey,
    I had huge problems trying to reinstall eclipse because when I updated from last ubuntu version to the new one all the privileges changed and I had to do every thing as a root. Also I had big troubles with the plug-ins because they were there but eclipse didn't showed them. so here is what I did to start a clean reinstall.
    1. First log in as a root $su - root
    2. $apt-get autoremove eclipse
    3. $rm -r /usr/lib/eclipse (will remove all the plugins that were lost or were giving you problems and also configuration files which if you are new with eclipse for sure there is nothing to keep)
    4. $apt-get install eclipse
    5. $eclipse (launch eclipse)
    6. add all the plugins you want from a clean instalation

I'm sure there must be a cleaner way but this one after 10 thousand attempts was the only one that gave me a sweet result.

After doing all of this, exit root and launch eclipse as a regular user.

Beans

Code:
    # sudo apt-get remove --purge eclipse
    At least I think that's it...

If you're just programming Java, you should try Geany.
    I use Geany for my Java, DreamPie for Python, and NetBeans for Java GUI stuff (although I don't do that much).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    Code:
    # sudo apt-get remove --purge eclipse
    At least I think that's it...

If you're just programming Java, you should try Geany.
    I use Geany for my Java, DreamPie for Python, and NetBeans for Java GUI stuff (although I don't do that much).
    I tried that one but I got same problem. Plugins and features and configuration files weren't deleted. So that's why I recommend to delete manually those files. It looks like there is a bug related.

Beans

I tried all of above suggestions but there are still bits of Eclipse around.
    I tried tio follow "Programming Android" where the authors say do NOT install via Ubuntu repositories. I am new to this and need a working version of Eclipse . I would like to try starting again but need a complete cleanup to do so. Can anyone give a newby the step by step code to do this, so I can reinstall a clean copy . I haven't yet done anything useful with eclipse so have nothing to lose, but I am concerned about dependencies that might be used in other prgms
    thnks .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Eclipse made a workspace file in your home directory(THAT CONTAINS YOUR PROJECTS ALSO) . Try to backup that file somewhere else and delete that folder .

After that try to install eclipse from its official website , not from ubuntu repo . if everything works then you can open your old projects again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Back to sleep, old thread.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.