Thread: Will XFCE play nice with FluxBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Will XFCE play nice with FluxBox?

[SOLVED] It won't work. FluxBox and XFCE fulfill the same function, and conflict with one another. I have learned this in the IRC.
    Do you know if Fluxbox can work as the WM for a XFCE session?
    I have fluxbox only, at this point, but I want to try it with compiz.

So, what I'm looking at is a sort of XFCE as DE, FluxBox as WM, Compiz-enabled abomination.

I want to see that starting rightclick menu wiggle!

Can anyone help me out with the preliminary research for my quest?

I'm tempted to just try it and see what happens, but I want to ask first.
    Last edited by ScarySquirrel; February 21st, 2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: got an answer in IRC
    Linux 2.6.31-20-generic; 9.10 WARNING: Do NOT take this user seriously!
    MSI GD65; i5 750; 4 GB DDR3; GeForce 9500 GT
    : Volume control buttons crash Gnome

Beans

Re: Will XFCE play nice with FluxBox?

Compiz should replace fluxbox. (I believe it will.)

I think if you set this command as an autostarted app, then you can use fluxbox with XFCE:
    Code:
    fluxbox --replace

Beans

You can't use Fluxbox with Compiz, but you can use Fluxbox as the window manager in XFCE, instead of xf4wm. Whenever I use XFCE, I use Openbox as the window manager and it runs fine.

To do so, start a normal XFCE session, open a terminal and type (as NightwishFan suggested):

fluxbox --replace &
    Close your terminal, and log out. Before you confirm the log out, tick the box that says "save session for future login". Whenever you login next time, you will run Fluxbox within XFCE.

If you prefer to have Fluxbox's desktop menu, rather than XFCE's, you have to prevent xfdesktop from loading (you can use the command "killall xfdesktop" and then save the session as before). If you do this, you will also lose the icons on your desktop though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm working on doing basically the same thing, minus the compiz, for a PC I built for my mother out of spare parts. it's an old duron 700mhz with 256mb ram. I installed xubuntu on it, but everything was INSANELY slow. I started looking around the net for lightweight distros and saw that fluxbox was a commonly used lightweight window manager, so I installed that from synaptic, logged out and logged in to a fluxbox session. now her machine is VERY snappy and responsive.

the first time I started the xfce4-panel from inside this fluxbox session I got an error message telling me that it couldn't start the notification area because one was already running. after a little bit of research and some help from the friendly people at #fluxbox on freenode IRC I got that fixed. I needed to edit a line in

~/.fluxbox/init

starting with

session.screen0.toolbar.tools:

and take out the "systemtray" bit

I've taken a liking to the speed and low overhead with this combination and will soon be attempting to make a personal distro install cd.

best of luck with what you're going for, and if you need help I would suggest trying that IRC channel

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation We Tried. We failed.

your two posts both regarded installing xfce, and then fluxbox as the window manager.

I wanted to do the reverse, and I have. It kind of sucked. The gdm stayed with fluxbox's crappy version, I have two volume daemons, and uninstalling fluxbox's configuration utilities will now break my themes.

I am still living with the results of my daring experiment.

Let this be a warning to you all!

Linux 2.6.31-20-generic; 9.10 WARNING: Do NOT take this user seriously!
    MSI GD65; i5 750; 4 GB DDR3; GeForce 9500 GT
    : Volume control buttons crash Gnome