Thread: Fingerprint reader, and microphone(skype use)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Angry Fingerprint reader, and microphone(skype use)(SOLVED)

I have been trying to get my fingerprint reader to work, I have seen several howtos but they were very complicated and seemed not to work . I did everything that was asked and was dissapointed. I also have been trying to get the built-in mic to work, and have been at a loss there too. Thanks.
    Last edited by mysteriousdarren; December 2nd, 2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Solved
    Asus G74SX ROG Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor 12GB Memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM 1tb Western Digital Hard Drive, 500gb Western Digital Hard Drive, 1.5 tb Western Digital Hard Drive, 2 2TB Western Digital Hard Drives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Fingerprint reader, and microphone(skype use)

To get your fingerprint reader to work, you first need to run your system76 driver and reboot. Then follow this tutorial...

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Fin...t_Reader_Usage

Are you running Ubuntu on your system?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    To get your fingerprint reader to work, you first need to run your system76 driver and reboot. Then follow this tutorial...

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Fin...t_Reader_Usage

Are you running Ubuntu on your system?
    Hi,

I just bought a Pangolin laptop and am trying to get fingerprint reader to work too. Do I need to follow the direction from the URL link you mentioned to enable fingerprint reader? I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 that was installed by System76. The URL has instruction for Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 6.06-8.10. But not for 9.10.

I already did System->Administration->System76 then updated any drivers available from System76 for my laptop.

Then I did System->Preferences->Fingerprint GUI then select the tab 'Scan/Verify' but it keeps popping a dialog box 'Fingerprint was not saved. Click 'No' to retry. Select another finger?'. I couldn't even start the scanning process.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

as far as the mic goes, your going to want to keep in mind that there are 2 mic inputs on your laptop.

The plug-in one is typically labeled "microphone 1"

The built it is typically labeled "microphone 2"

Ubuntu by will only mix one of these at a time. (should only need one) By default it is set to 1 (not the one you want )-:

Changing this is simple all you have to do is go into the sound preferences (via right click on sound icon or system>preferences>sound preferences) then navigate to the input tab and scroll down to mic 2

I have a lot to say about the fingerprint readers... but long story short is you prob. will never use it.. (anyone using one on a consistent basis please raise hand) see no hands. sorry... sounded like fun to me at first too
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the info on mic. I configured it to #2 as you stated and got it working. Awesome!

Are you able to get the fingerprint reader to work? It sounds like you are able to use it. What program did you use? Did you use the program from System->Preferences->Fingerprint GUI? It might be cool to just play with it and maybe just to see what the scanned fingerprints look like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mookiemeister View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a Pangolin laptop and am trying to get fingerprint reader to work too. Do I need to follow the direction from the URL link you mentioned to enable fingerprint reader? I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 that was installed by System76. The URL has instruction for Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 6.06-8.10. But not for 9.10.
    I have the same experience here. Brand-new PanP7 -- Core i7 M620 goodness!, Ubuntu 9.10 -- updated the System76 drivers, rebooted, followed the knowledge base tutorial, then fired up the fingerprint gui. Chose a finger and hit next and got the "Fingerprint fail!" dialog box before I even had a chance to scan.

No big deal for me ... thought it would be fun to play with.

Other than this one small issue, I absolutely love this computer!

Regards,
    Robert M.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok. I'll forget about the fingerprint reader then. I agree that the laptop is pretty cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you go to the link that thomasaaron posted, you will see that it clearly states that it is for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) or higher. It just may work if you're running 10.10. I'm still running 10.04 Lucid, and I'm not going to install Maverick solely to get the fingerprint reader up & running correctly (reason being that Lucid is an LTS os). Maybe when the next LTS comes out, I'll install it, and try the fingerprint instructional out at that point.