Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black screen problem with Nvidia on Dell Latitude E6500

Beans

Black screen problem with Nvidia on Dell Latitude E6500

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 on which I installed Ubuntu 9.10 recently.

After changing from the public domain display driver to the proprietary driver (nvidia-173), I could use visual effects and the Nvidia TwinView to enable dual monitors. I was very happy with the way everything worked.

Then I had some problems with rdesktop (the laptop display went black, though the external one kept working), so I tried to upgrade to a later driver version (nvidia-185) and after that it's been a black screen every time I start X. The only thing I can do is Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of GNOME or shut the machine down by pressing the power button.

I tried reinstalling/removing/purging the nvidia-185 driver with synaptic and/or aptitude, reenabling nvidia-173, all to no avail. I've done this after stopping gdm, or from the recovery root shell using aptitude.

The only way I don't get a black screen is if I install nvidia-173 again and set the driver to "vesa", or remove everything and set the display to "nv" (in which case I can't use visual effects or the dual display).

I believe something got corrupted when installing the nvidia-185 driver, but purging and reinstalling does not seem to get rid of the problem and this has corrupted even the driver version that was definitely working before the rdesktop problem.

Is there any way I can force whatever got corrupted to be overwritten? Or do I have to reinstall Ubuntu to get my computer back to the way it was?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Black screen problem with Nvidia on Dell Latitude E6500

Could you post your Xorg.0.log file to check if an error could be detected ?

Beans

First of all, thanks for your reply.

After reinstalling nvidia-173, I ran nvidia-xconfig, which modified my xorg.conf to read:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Default Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    Driver "nvidia"
    EndSection

After restarting, the Xorg.0.log file reads as in the attached file (I copied it to Xorg.0.log.txt before changing back to "nv"). Can you see anything that points to the problem?

Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Your monitor look to be not detected:
    Code:
    (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): No display devices connected; falling back to: CRT-0
    (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
    (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute DPI
    (WW) NVIDIA(0):     from CRT-0's EDID.
    And edid information could not be read.
    Some solutions to try:

• Manual monitor configuration in the xorg.conf
    • get edid information by an other way (get-edid tool of other) and use it with Option "CustomEDID" "CTR-0:/etc/X11/crt-0.bin
    • is there any bios configuration about using external monitor without internal (Your computer is a laptop is'nt it ?)

This is way I think but it should have others...

Beans

Actually, it's worse than that. The Xorg.0.log that I posted was without connecting the external monitor. After connecting the external monitor, apparently X doesn't come up at all (although it's hard to tell) and I have to shut down the machine forcibly by holding the power button. If you can, please see the new attachment. This happens even with the Driver set to "nv".

I don't understand why the monitor(s) are not being recognized, when everything was working fine before trying to install the later driver. Why would trying to install a new driver force me to configure the monitor manually when using the previous version?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Your internal display look to be not detected. But you external display is well detected. So:
    • Is your internal display work well in console mode (during boot) ?
    • What's happend when you hit the magic key CRT/LCD you should have on your keyboard ? Is other screen start ?

I don't know why it was working before and not after driver change but there was a bug on some nvidia driver wich corrupt EDID informations on some monitors. (Edid information are information stored on the monitor to let it announce his supported features/resolutions...). So try to extract those information and let us take a look (perhaps it's an other problem... but in case of...)

Try to extract all your edid info by using 'get-edid' tool and post it. If it's not working, extract directly using i2cdump with this step:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe i2c-dev
    sudo i2cdump 0 0x50
    sudo i2cdump 1 0x50
    sudo i2cdump 2 0x50
    sudo i2cdump 3 0x50

Beans

First, yes, the laptop monitor works fine during boot. I get the first splash screen, but after that everything goes black. I did not try the CRT/LCD key, but will do so and post my results.

I will also get the information you requested. Thanks very much for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been fighting a similar issue with my desktop and I too believe that the NV driver is corrupting my installation. I've been trying to install any of the appropriate NV restricted drivers and all result in a black screen then loss-of-signal to monitor during boot -- this forces me to kill power and restart the machine to console.

Assuming that your machine will POST and load grub -- boot to a console as root and rm xorg.conf altogether. This will at least allow you to reboot to the GUI and try again. I've been making a b/u of the xorg file as I go before deletion...

Beans

I had to install the read-edid package, but here is the result:
    $ sudo get-edid
    get-edid: get-edid version 2.0.0

Performing real mode VBE call
    Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
    Function supported
    Call successful

VBE version 300
    VBE string at 0x2110 "NVIDIA"

VBE/DDC service about to be called
    Report DDC capabilities

Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
    Function supported
    Call successful

Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
    Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC2 transfers
    0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
    Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
    Read EDID

Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
    Function supported
    Call failed

The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed
    Error: output block unchanged
    I assume this means the EDID data is bad. Where is this information stored? In the graphics card itself?

By the way, the CRT/LCD key does not seem to do anything. Also, I could find no BIOS configuration for an external monitor.
    Last edited by ekortrightathome; February 23rd, 2010 at 01:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So try to extract with the i2cdump tools:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe i2c-dev
    sudo i2cdump 0 0x50
    sudo i2cdump 1 0x50
    sudo i2cdump 2 0x50
    sudo i2cdump 3 0x50
    This will:
    • load the i2c-dev module onto kernel to allow /dev/i2c* entries
    • dump i2c data from each device (it should be the "2" the good)

And post result for each i2cdump command.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast