Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Notify-send HOWTO

Beans

Smile Re: Notify-send HOWTO

Thanks! I am relatively new to linux but I managed to create a simple bash script to show a notification to rest my eyes & also activate the screen saver

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Notify-send is a little, simple On-Screen Display application. It uses the notify bubble (or balloon?) pop-up system as seen in 9.10 Karmic.

Despite its usage is very simple you can have a lot of fun with it. Let's install it first:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install notify-osd
    Now this command should pop up a 'bubble':
    Code:
    notify-send Test "Hello World"
    The --help option shows basic usage:

Code:
    $notify-send --help
    Usage:                             
      notify-send [OPTION...] <SUMMARY> [BODY] - create a notification                                                    

Help Options:
      -?, --help                        Show help options

Application Options:
      -u, --urgency=LEVEL               Specifies the urgency level (low, normal, critical).                              
      -t, --expire-time=TIME            Specifies the timeout in milliseconds at which to expire the notification.
      -i, --icon=ICON[,ICON...]         Specifies an icon filename or stock icon to display.
      -c, --category=TYPE[,TYPE...]     Specifies the notification category.
      -h, --hint=TYPE:NAME:VALUE        Specifies basic extra data to pass. Valid types are int, double, string and byte.
      -v, --version                     Version of the package.
    Some examples:

1. Basic message with an icon in front of the Title showing 5000 milliseconds
    Code:
    notify-send "Message Title" "The message body is shown here" -i /usr/share/pixmaps/idle.xpm -t 5000
    2. Show contents of a file:
    Code:
    notify-send test "`tail /var/log/syslog`"
    3. Follow log file:
    Code:
    tail -n0 -f /var/log/messages | while read line; do notify-send "System Message" "$line"; done
    4. Format message with HTML:
    Code:
    notify-send Test "<font size=16 color=blue><b><i>Hello World</b></i></font>"

Beans

Re: Notify-send HOWTO

Hi, I have a related issue. I am using ubuntu 11.10 and tried the scrypt for ultrabay_eject from thinkwiki. It calls notify-send but no notificatio is displayed. The ONLY way for the notification to work is to do

xhost +local:

in a terminal window and then generate the acpi event by pulling the lever on the laptop. Note that the script is working with notifications if manually run via the terminal.

So the question here is - how can i make xhost +local: work in the script or being executed as my laptop starts? Tried placing it in /etc/rc.local but still no go.

Thanks

Beans

For some reason my notify-send does not load stock icons. For example, instead of
    Code:
    notify-send -i notification-message-im
    , I have to specify the full path with
    Code:
    notify-send -i /usr/share/notify-osd/icons/hicolor/scalable/status/notification-message-im.svg
    Is there any way to fix this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lupius View Post
    For some reason my notify-send does not load stock icons. For example, instead of
    Code:
    Code:
    notify-send -i /usr/share/notify-osd/icons/hicolor/scalable/status/notification-message-im.svg
    Just send
    Code:
    notify-send -i message-im
    I.e., without the "notification-" in the beginning.

Beans

Thanks but that didn't work either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lupius View Post
    Code:
    Code:
    You should put the image path into "...". Try this and feed back me your result

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm trying to add a custom icon to my notification that is getting created in a Java class. When I explicitly provide a path to the image, ie-'/home/name/Pictures/image.png' it works beautifully. But I'm having a problem now where I want to package this app up and put it on github so anyone can use it, but when I include the image in my java project, and either put it in a 'res' folder, or even in the same folder as the Main.java file, it isn't working. Any idea why?

Beans

I am trying to set the maximum time to 5000 ms, using -t 5000, but its staying longer than that. What could be the reason?

fabrizio-marana Guest

Just follow this article to change the time-out:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/confi...bbles-for.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123