Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

Beans

I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

Hi,
    My problem is that I can use the wired internet in Windows 7 but in Ubuntu 9.10, the wired internet is not working. I thought may be there are something with the LAN card driver so I tried to install the driver provided by Marvell Yukon (my LAN card is Marvell Yukon 88E8057). I follow the suggestion from posst #9 in this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+yukon+88e8057
    The installing is ok untill the step it said that I have another driver for the LAN already installed in Ubuntu, so I choose to deactivate it, and now I stuck here (sorry for my long quote):
    Code:
     Do nothing:
      - The sk98lin will be installed
      NOTE: It may happen that the alternative driver will be loaded on 
      the next boot process. In this case the Marvell driver _WON'T_ be
      loaded.

Deactivate driver:
      - The alternative driver will be renamed to _skge.ko or _sky2.ko
      - All references in the /etc/modprobe.conf file will be changed to
        the sk98lin driver
      - The alternative driver will be unloaded
      - The sk98lin driver will be installed

Remove driver (recommended):
      - The alternative driver will be removed from your system
      - All references in the /etc/modprobe.conf file will be changed to
        the sk98lin driver
      - The alternative driver will be unloaded
      - The sk98lin driver will be installed

1) Do nothing
    2) Deactivate diver
    3) Remove driver
    Action: 2

Disconnect alternative devices:  (done)                              [   OK   ]
    Unload alternative driver (done)                                     [   OK   ]
    Create tmp dir (/tmp/Sk98IIUfGgRFrNSrcqQGWbLCB)                      [   OK   ]
    Check user id (0)                                                    [   OK   ]
    Check kernel version (2.6.31-19-generic)                             [   OK   ]
    Check kernel symbol file (/proc/kallsyms)                            [   OK   ]
    Check kernel type (SMP)                                              [   OK   ]
    Check number of CPUs (2)                                             [   OK   ]
    Check architecture (found)                                           [   OK   ]
    Set architecture (i386)                                              [   OK   ]
    Check compiler (/usr/bin/gcc)                                        [   OK   ]
    Check mcmodel flags (none)                                           [   OK   ]
    Check module support (/sbin/insmod)                                  [   OK   ]
    Check make (/usr/bin/make)                                           [   OK   ]
    Check kernel gcc version (4.4.1) (Kernel:4.4.1 == gcc:4.4.1)         [   OK   ]
    Check sk98lin driver availability (not loaded)                       [   OK   ]
    Check kernel header files (/lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/build)     [   OK   ]
    Check sources for .config file (none)                                [   OK   ]
    Execute: make mrproper                                                 working./functions: line 1330: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source: No such file or directory
    Execute: make mrproper (done)                                        [   OK   ]
    Execute: make config                                                   working./functions: line 1555: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source: No such file or directory
    Execute: make config (done)                                          [   OK   ]
    cp: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source/.config': No such file or directory
    Copy and check .config file                                            workingcp: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source/.config': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source/.config': No such file or directory
    grep: /tmp/Sk98IIUfGgRFrNSrcqQGWbLCB/config: No such file or directory
    ./functions: line 603: [: -gt: unary operator expected
    sed: can't read /tmp/Sk98IIUfGgRFrNSrcqQGWbLCB/config: No such file or directory
    Copy and check .config file (done)                                   [   OK   ]
    Check the mem address space (lowmem)                                 [   OK   ]
    Change IOMMU (enabled)                                               [   OK   ]
    Create new .config filecp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source/.config': No such file or directory
     (done)                                                              [   OK   ]
    diff: /tmp/Sk98IIUfGgRFrNSrcqQGWbLCB/config-bk2: No such file or directory
    diff: /lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/source/.config: No such file or directory
    Check modpost availability (not available)                           [  warn  ]

The kernel's modpost utility is not available. Addtionally we did not
    even find the source code for the utility. For this situation it exists
    only one reason: your kernel source tree is corrupted.

You may continue to check for the modpost.c file below the directory
    /usr/src/linux/scripts/mod. Normally you should find here also a binary
    called modpost. Both seem to be missing.

Please contact your distribution vendor or download a kernel from
    kernel.org to build your own kernel manually. It then will contain the
    missing utility.
    Does anyone has the idea for this? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

Odur,

I get the very same error as tatung while trying to install sk98lin driver on ubuntu 9.10, with ethernet Marvell Yukon ethernet card. That is modpost.c unavailable and interestingly the file is there in the mentioned directory.

Did you get to face the same error in the first place? that is before making that change from /source to /build on fuctions file? Please get back to me, i need a solution to this its driving me crazy.
    the best way to realise yourself...is to wake up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

Tatung,

Did you fix that issue? what did you do for it? If yes could you get back with the steps? Thanks in advace.

Beans

@soulitude: infact, I still get problem with this in wired LAN network. But I've install ubuntu 10.04, and moved to another house with broadband network, so it's ok now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This might not make any difference, but try 10.04. I have a Dell 1545 with a Marvel Yukon card and it installed correctly on a fresh install, no configuration needed at all.
    As an aside, my wireless Dell 1397 (BCM4312 Broadcom) works great as well.
    I must say that on two separate machines, a desktop and a laptop, lucid just works. Boring actually.

Colin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

Thanks a lot Tatung and Colin.p for getting back, i appreciate your concerns.

@Tatung : This is with my new sony vaio laptop and the default driver was sky2 which randomly crashed both with 9.10 and 10.04. I now somehow managed to install sk98lin on 9.10, after a guy from Marvell semiconductors confirmed it as the driver for linux 2.6.31 kernel. But eth0 is not displayed. The driver can't even identify the eth0.

I am sure the issue is with the driver and my ethernet card. The cable is good as well as the connection. Do you have any idea on what driver I can use for this besides sky2 and sk98lin? Please give me these outputs from your machine.
    "sudo ethtool -i eth0"
    "sudo lspci | grep -i ethernet"

@Colin.p : i've even tried 10.04 but with the same trouble of sky2 randomly disconnecting every 5 seconds. You said that you are using sky2 driver, can you please get back to me with the folllowing informations?
    "sudo ethtool -i eth0"
    "sudo lspci | grep -i ethernet"

Thanks a lot guys.

Beans

Sorry, I dont have any suggestion about the driver. Anyway, the output:
    Code:
    tatung@tatung-laptop:~$ sudo ethtool -i eth0
    [sudo] password for tatung: 
    sudo: ethtool: command not found
    tatung@tatung-laptop:~$ sudo lspci | grep -i ethernet
    08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 4380 (rev 10)
    Hope this help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: I ask about Marvell Yukon driver

tatung,

You are a pal, thnx for getting back. Its good that we both have the same Marvell ethernet card 4380(rev 10). I need your patience and time to work this out. I assume you haven't installed sk98lin and you are still running on sky2.

I am sure this isn't about the broadband connection but the new kernel ubuntu 10.04 must be the one that got it working for you. So a comparison between our configurations could get my eth0 running. You don't have "ethtool" installed on your machine, so you will have to install that first. Can you try this and then execute the command?
    1. "sudo apt-get install ethtool" and then "sudo ethtool -i eth0"
    2. lsmod | grep sk

Thanks again tatung, tc.

Beans

@soulitude: this is the output
    Code:
    tatung@tatung-laptop:~$ sudo ethtool -i eth0
    driver: sky2
    version: 1.25
    firmware-version: N/A
    bus-info: 0000:08:00.0
    tatung@tatung-laptop:~$ lsmod | grep sk
    sky2                   41040  0 
    tatung@tatung-laptop:~$