Thread: Ubuntu (Linux?) Text Editor magic...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu (Linux?) Text Editor magic...

I download an nfo file, open it with 'Text Editor', copy out some text, close, and delete the nfo file.

Couple days later I download an nfo file, open it with 'Text Editor', and see that it's the same nfo file I downloaded a couple days ago.
    I know this because the cursor is at the text that I copied out two days ago.

How is it that Text Editor remembers the place in a new copy of a file I deleted (not moved to trash, deleted off the HDD) days ago?

...Things that make you go hmmm?
    (Master be/fe) ASUS P5KPL IPC, E5400, KVR800D2N6K2/2G, 8500GT, (2)PVR-150, A180, ATSC-115, U10.04, MythTV 0.23-fixes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntu (Linux?) Text Editor magic...

Editor stores filename, path and cursor position of edited file to some config file and when you open that file again it looks from that config file where you was in editing in earlier time you edited that file.
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu (Linux?) Text Editor magic...

I figured that was what Text Editor did except I never actually edit the file and it's never in the same path.
    Actually, I thought Text Editor was caching a copy of the file somewhere and comparing it to the new copy... not very secure if that's the case.
    How else could it place the cursor in the exact position I left it? S'pose it could count columns and rows.
    (Master be/fe) ASUS P5KPL IPC, E5400, KVR800D2N6K2/2G, 8500GT, (2)PVR-150, A180, ATSC-115, U10.04, MythTV 0.23-fixes.