Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3G Modem - COMPLETELY and FINALLY SOLVED!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

3G Modem - COMPLETELY and FINALLY SOLVED!!

I have been struggling for many years with mobile modem connections up to the recent 3G modems and Karmic Distro problems. FINALLY all is well. The solution for me has been buying a Huawei E5830 Mifi (wifi) 3G gadget. It converts the 3G signal to wifi and all is well from there ..... EASY for the first time!!!! ..... no wvdial, no configuration hardly at all ... just usual wifi settings. (I left it "always on" with no WEP so my life is finally extremely simple).

Also with the latest version of this E5830 one can install it in Linux, and configure easily, without first installing in a Windows op sys! Make sure you request a Huawei E5830 that can be "configured wirelessly" so that you can completely avoid windows.

80 euros WELL-SPENT on the HuaweiE5830. I am sure other Mifi gadgets work well too, but I can only speak personally about this one.

Good Luck
    (What a Relief!)

daka
    NO SELF....NO PROBLEM

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 3G Modem - COMPLETELY and FINALLY SOLVED!!

hi

good to here about this device

But I am curious as to the type of device listing as seen by Linux , IE :the output from the lsusb command from the terminal

Thanks in advance

alexfish
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Alexfish

Here's the lsusb output ..... (not seen as usb).. but picked up as a wifi source

daka@daka-laptop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8197 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless Adapter
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b070 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c01b Logitech, Inc. MX310 Optical Mouse
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    daka@daka-laptop:~$

When the unit is turned on it sends a wifi signal to laptop... one then enters an ip address (192.168.1.1) and enters a configuration process, changing the password, selecting "always on" or other modes and choosing WEP or no WEP. This is SO easy!! Now I turn on the laptop and it is connected to 3G/WIFI automatically.

Cheers

daka
    NO SELF....NO PROBLEM

Beans

Very interesting indeed.
    I was going mad with all this fuss. First, installing usbserial and wvdial (8.04). Then, it cannot be installed because it is already in the kernel (8.10, or 9.04). Then it seems to be again a separate module (9.10 ?). Later, I realize I cannot install wvdial because I have no internet connexion on the target computer (I cannot just download the file with my other laptop and copy it here... Dependencies are too many). Has someone realized that programs essential for internet connexion could (should) be treated in a special way, to cope for the fact that the user in need of them often lacks a direct internet connexion to the computer ?
    Well, I think I once solved that by downloading the sources, copying to target box and installing...
    So I think this is brilliant idea. Lets forget 'bout USB modems in Ubuntu. And in Linux, for that matter. Thanks.
    BTW, where did you buy the Huawei device ?

Beans

here you will find it on ebay australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Unlocked-HUAW...item20af93ec0b

but note it is offered from a UK dealer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=408647682019

This is where I bought it from eBay UK

good luck
    NO SELF....NO PROBLEM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also bought the device and indeed, it works very well. However I am still facing some problems.

1. When changing the SIM (changing the country) I still need a windows machine to change the profile of the device (APN, user name etc. of the new SIM card). I did not fin any way to do it with Ubuntu yet

2. I can't send or receive SMS with this device, even when connecting it through USB with my Ubuntu laptop

Do you have any solutions for the mentioned problems?

UPDATE 23rd April 2010
    Yesterday I installed the new firmware for my E5830 and now I can change the APN profile trough the web interface.

For more information please see:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1411777
    Last edited by Sven6210; April 23rd, 2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: New firmware available

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Sven

I had it solved in Ireland. When I came back to Spain it has been a nightmare. I am not surprised because Spain is a bit third world when it comes to this advanced or new technology. I am still struggling to get the Huawei 5830 working in Spain but in Ireland it was fine. I will need to phone tech support people and deal with their limited understanding of these issues.

I would apprecite knowing what you do to do reconfigure the modem precisely for new countries... maybe this will help me get it working in Spain. I have a windows machine too but can't get it working on that either.

Thanks

daka
    NO SELF....NO PROBLEM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Daka,

I only know how to change the settings for the new SIM with a Windows computer. You need to connect the E5830 device by USB with the Windows computer and then you run the ‘3 WiFi Manager’, the tool which is on the USB drive of the E5830 and where you can do all the settings.

Then you click on ‘Tools’ and ‘Options’ and you choose ‘Profile Management’.

For adding a new profile click on ‘New’ and you get a screen where you are required to enter:
    - Profile Name
    - ANP (Dynamic/Static and APN)
    - Dial-up number
    - User Name
    - Password

Profile Name: you choose any profile name, e.g. SIM Spain or Vodafone UK or Telefonica Spain etc.

ANP: for all my SIM cards I had to choose ‘Static’ and the APN you need to enter is defined by your SIM card. I found out about the setting when connecting the SIM in the original modem with a windows machine and looking up in the profile settings. Attention, having the wrong APN could result in higher costs (at least in Germany). The APN could be a text such as ‘internet’ or ‘web.vodafone.de’ etc.

Dial-up number: Usually *99#
    User Name and Password: whether you need one depends on the operator, in order to find out look in the internet or connect the SIM with the original device to a Windows machine and look it up in the profile settings. Alternatively you can also call the operator in order to ask for the details.

I hope this helps you.

I would like to make all these settings from my Ubuntu – unfortunately I did not yet find a way to do so.

Best regards

Sven

UPDATE 23rd April
    Attention, with the new firmware it is possible to change the APN profile trough the web interface. I do not need a Windows machine any more.
    Last edited by Sven6210; April 23rd, 2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: New firmware available

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

After struggling for ages with Huawei's E220, I picked up the E160E which is a simple plug and play. No hardware configuration required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast