Thread: How mount HD in 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How mount HD in 8.04

I moved 4 HHD on an ATA-card to a new Ubuntu 8.04 machine. The are in a NFS network. I have called them 280GB_C, 280GB_D, 280GB_E and 100GB_F from before Dapper and to Hardy. Now when I tried to mount them from Desktop on the disks mounted on the desktop, by right-click -->Properties -->Volume. And fill out a new mountpoint in my homedirectory. (/home/Azyx/280GB_C corrensponding to the disk. Also make folder on that place.

After reboot i get the message "Cannot mount the volume"

-details:
    "mounting_point cannot contain the following charter: newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR (usually /)"

How fix it now? I can't get 'Property' on the disk cos they are not mounted anymore.

I have booth ext3 and reiserfs on the disks.

Edit: I think the problem is the name on the disks. 280GB_X, the underline. But where can i change it? There are nothing in fstab or mtab about the mounting point.

/Cheers
    Last edited by Azyx; February 18th, 2010 at 12:12 PM.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit, 16.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 16.04LTS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How mount HD in 8.04

Have you actually made the mountpoint folders in your home to mount them to? If not they will not mount, and you can not make such a folder by using the Properties->Volume tab, you will have to do it by either right clicking on the parent folder and choosing "Create Folder" or in terminal
    Code:
    mkdir /home/Azyx/280GB_C
    I don't think the underscore should be a problem at all in file or folder names, so forget about that; in fact it is always worth using an underscore rather than a space in a name, as it makes life easier when using pathways in terminal.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How mount HD in 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Have you actually made the mountpoint folders in your home to mount them to? If not they will not mount, and you can not make such a folder by using the Properties->Volume tab, you will have to do it by either right clicking on the parent folder and choosing "Create Folder" or in terminal
    Code:
    mkdir /home/Azyx/280GB_C
    I don't think the underscore should be a problem at all in file or folder names, so forget about that; in fact it is always worth using an underscore rather than a space in a name, as it makes life easier when using pathways in terminal.
    Yes. I know that and have also mkdir for all 4 disks If that was the problem the message should be something like ..missing mounting point or so...

I thougt the GUI preferens maybe write the mounting point in fstab or so...but I can't find it there. Maybe I heve type some wrong, but I can't find what I wrote
    Last edited by Azyx; February 18th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit, 16.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 16.04LTS?

Beans
    Distro

Solved

I made an mounting thrue fstab and it worked, and change _ to - in disk names...
    /Azyx