Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO:Nvidia AGP FastWrites and Side Band Addressing

Beans

Re: HOWTO:Nvidia AGP FastWrites and Side Band Addressing

Quote Originally Posted by mcwtlg
    That worked...thanx z-vet

I did not have nvidia-kernel-nkc. First I took the advice of Rizado and added "nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1" to /etc/modules, but that did not work (fast writes were still disabled).

I then took z-vet's advice and created /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia and put:
    alias char-major-195 nvidia
    options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

into that file, saved it and rebooted.
    I did not have nvidia-kernel-nkc either, and this is the only solution that works for me. If I get better fps I can't tell becaus I get differnt results every time I run glxgears. Sometimes I get better fps than before enable fastwrites, and sometimes worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thanks tseliot it works great on dapper too got about 250fps increase. I notice it in overall performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by z-vet
    No, i mean /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia
    Ok, I'll fix the guide.

Thanks everybody

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy©
    I did not have nvidia-kernel-nkc either, and this is the only solution that works for me. If I get better fps I can't tell becaus I get differnt results every time I run glxgears. Sometimes I get better fps than before enable fastwrites, and sometimes worse.
    I found that the only way to tell was to NOT move the mouse. Moving the mouse can skew the results.
    Food for Thought | Fuel for the Fire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mcwtlg
    I found that the only way to tell was to NOT move the mouse. Moving the mouse can skew the results.
    You shouldn't rely upon glxgears too much. Try it in games,etc.

Beans

Does the nvidia_agp module offer anything over the generic linux agpgart from a performance perspective? What I want to know is whether it is worth recompiling my kernel explicitly without agpgart( I can't get it to stop loading) so that I can use the nvidia_agp. I have an nvidia chipset based mobo. The performance of my 5500 based card just seems sluggish compared to my old geforce 4 mx, and I've tried just about everything else I've read about to get it to perform.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PowerRanger
    Does the nvidia_agp module offer anything over the generic linux agpgart from a performance perspective? What I want to know is whether it is worth recompiling my kernel explicitly without agpgart( I can't get it to stop loading) so that I can use the nvidia_agp. I have an nvidia chipset based mobo. The performance of my 5500 based card just seems sluggish compared to my old geforce 4 mx, and I've tried just about everything else I've read about to get it to perform.
    It's a matter of compatibility. Agpgart supports more graphic cards than nv_agp.
    I have a Geforce FX 5500 (128MB) and nv_agp doesn't work for me.

Beans

Do you know whether your particular incompatibility issue is related to the card, or the chipset? I actually have 2 5500's in my machine, a 256 agp and a 128 pci . Anyway, compatibility issues aside, can anyone definitively say the performance of nvidia_agp is better than agpgart?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PowerRanger
    Do you know whether your particular incompatibility issue is related to the card, or the chipset? I actually have 2 5500's in my machine, a 256 agp and a 128 pci . Anyway, compatibility issues aside, can anyone definitively say the performance of nvidia_agp is better than agpgart?

Thanks
    Have a look at this page, please:
    http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-f.html

Beans

Yeah, I' actually read the readme when I installed the driver.

My issue lies in the statement "You should use the AGP module that works best with your AGP chip set. "

I've never been able to use the nvidia_agp because agpgart is compiled into my kernel, I can't blacklist it, so I don't know if it would be 'best' or not.

That's why I'm asking whether it's worth it for me to try re-compiling the kernel without the agpgart. Do you know of A good guide for re-compiling the kernel without agpgart?

I was asking, because if somebody can say definitively that it won't help with performance, I won't waste my time and risk my current setup. On the other hand, if that is where I might be able to improve performance, I would like to give it a try.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast