Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO:Nvidia AGP FastWrites and Side Band Addressing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO:Nvidia AGP FastWrites and Side Band Addressing

Quote Originally Posted by PowerRanger
    That's why I'm asking whether it's worth it for me to try re-compiling the kernel without the agpgart. Do you know of A good guide for re-compiling the kernel without agpgart?
    I recompiled my kernel without agpgart but then I couldn't get the nvidia driver to work.

If you want a guide about how to compile a kernel:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85064
    but it doesn't explain how to disable agpgart (and I don't remember how I did it). Google might be your best friend in this case.

Beans

Yeah, I tried renaming the agpgart.ko (not sure of the name, /lib/modules/kerner version/char/agp or something like that) and then had lotsa 'unresolved symbol' errors in the system log ( and x log) when the nvidia_agp module tried to load. I went back and checked the nvidia driver installer log and it seemed like it knew the agpgart was loaded so didn't do anything to the nvidia_agp module. I'm not in front of that machine now so I can't check it.

What I was gonna do was recompile the kernel( without agpgart) then try to reinstall the nvidia drivers.

Beans

Arghh- Frustration is setting in....

I _can't_ seem to disable agpgart in the kernel configuration. I've googled all over the place, the only thing I can find is that if iommu is enabled, agpgart must be loaded as a module. (iommu is for AMD64 >4GB RAM) Unfortunately, I can't find iommu in my kernel configuration. I've looked over the .config file, it's not there. It's supposed to be in the kernel configuration, under 'Processor Type and Features'.

I did stumble across something else though, I think you can set a 'no iommu' parameter at boot in GRUB! I wonder if this will have any affect on not being able to blacklist the agpgart.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for this how-to. The default nv drivers already had sb enabled so all I had to do was edit and add the fast write option and restart. Pre-gear diag was ~5500 and post-gear diag is ~6500. Now if only I had any interests in gaming :S

Beans

Thanks for the HowTo. I can confirm this works on Dapper with a PCI-Express 7300GS on a DFI NF4 DR-SLi Expert board without changing any BIOS settings. Its nearly doubled my FPS in glxgears!

EDIT: Ok maybe not double, I guess not running Seti Enhanced at the same time helped a good bit. Still seems to be alot faster.
    Last edited by russ_armst; May 14th, 2006 at 12:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by russ_armst
    Thanks for the HowTo. I can confirm this works on Dapper with a PCI-Express 7300GS on a DFI NF4 DR-SLi Expert board without changing any BIOS settings. Its nearly doubled my FPS in glxgears!

EDIT: Ok maybe not double, I guess not running Seti Enhanced at the same time helped a good bit. Still seems to be alot faster.
    Thanks for reporting

Beans
    Hidden!

Running Dapper on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ installed on an Asus K8V-MX with 2 GB DDR 400 and a PNY Verto GeForce 6200 AGP video card. I installed the nvidia-glx drivers with apt-get and followed this how-to step-by-step. SBA was enabled by default, however I cannot enable FW even though I have it enabled in my BIOS. This problem also existed when I ran Breezy Badger. If it matters, I have XGL and compiz installed and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beeldings
    Running Dapper on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ installed on an Asus K8V-MX with 2 GB DDR 400 and a PNY Verto GeForce 6200 AGP video card. I installed the nvidia-glx drivers with apt-get and followed this how-to step-by-step. SBA was enabled by default, however I cannot enable FW even though I have it enabled in my BIOS. This problem also existed when I ran Breezy Badger. If it matters, I have XGL and compiz installed and running.
    can you post the content of your "/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia" ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    can you post the content of your "/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia" ?
    I just checked it with nano and it's empty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beeldings
    I just checked it with nano and it's empty.
    Make it look like this (as it's written in the guide):
    Code:
    alias char-major-195* nvidia
    options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast