Thread: Is this /home encryption method possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is this /home encryption method possible

I would like to know if this is possible,

I want to encrypt each users /home folder and store the unlock key on a plugged in USB stick.

When the user logs in I want the unlock key, encrypted with the users login password to unlock their home folder.

Importantly, if the /home partition is moved to another machine I should be able to open the /home folders again by just plugging in the usb stick.

Ideally, I would also like a user called backup to be able to unlock all /home folders when running a backup script.

Can this be done?
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans

Re: Is this /home encryption method possible

Howdy,

Most probably yes. LUKS can handle multiple passwords and you can save the keys wherever you want. However, you may have to make each user home a partition.

See this for some ideas:
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca/luks-usb-howto.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Is this /home encryption method possible

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Howdy,

Most probably yes. LUKS can handle multiple passwords and you can save the keys wherever you want. However, you may have to make each user home a partition.

See this for some ideas:
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca/luks-usb-howto.html

This would work and I could give each user a key that decrypted the whole /home partition and also therefore disable any if they got lost.

I would however prefer to use the built in encryption cryptfs that is included with 9.10 and in that case each user would have there own encrypted /home folder with a key.

I cannot find out how to do this however.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD