Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 100% Ubuntu Security

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: 100% Ubuntu Security

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    Now, why don't you post your Firefox profile here? Go to /etc/apparmor.d, find the firefox profile and post it here.
    Along with your path to firefox 3.6 and error messages when you run firefox in complain mode ...
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello,
    I got a lot of problems with firefox and Apparmor,i couldn't start it anymore, so i decided to uninstall it completely.
    Now, i am using Opera, and sometimes Epiphany(excellent browser),How do i apply the Apparmor profiles to theses browsers?
    Thanks.

Beans

Code:
    sudo complain firefox
    should shut off the AppArmor profile for Firefox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ismaelito View Post
    Hello,
    I got a lot of problems with firefox and Apparmor,i couldn't start it anymore, so i decided to uninstall it completely.
    Now, i am using Opera, and sometimes Epiphany(excellent browser),How do i apply the Apparmor profiles to theses browsers?
    Thanks.
    No offense, but if you wish to use apparmor you are going to need to do some reading and learn to use apparmor. You need to know a little about your file system and what "normal" or expected behavior is of the application you are trying to confine.

You basically have 3 problems.

1. IMO your biggest problem is you do not willing to learn apparmor. by that I mean, it does not work the way you expect, and so you giv eup and move to another application or disable apparmor altogether.

[all variants] Introduction to AppArmor - Ubuntu Forums

Now if you have a specific question on what you read, feel free to ask.

If you do not want to take the time to learn apparmor and read and debug the errors/denial in the logs I suggest you do not use it at all.

2. Your second problem is Firefox, or any browsser really, is not a good application to start with. This is because everyone uses the browser for different things and very diverse things such as sound, flash, opeing documents, pdf, etc etc. So copying somebody else's profile is unlilkely to be overly helpful.

3. You are not using the default version of firefox that comes with Ubuntu. If you used the default version of firefox you can use the default apparmor profile. If you do not use the default version of firefox, you will need to write a profile for the version of firefox you are using.

IMO if you can not modify a profile for firefox you are going to struggle to write a profile form scratch for an alternate browser. As far as I know there are no drop in apparmor profiles for other browsers.

If you want to secure your system I suggest you go back to the basics:

Ubuntu Security - Ubuntu Forums

I think better questions are:

What makes you feel you "need" apparmor ?

Are you willing to spend the time and effort it takes to learn apparmor ?

If so, we can help, but you will need to read and ask specific questions.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    No offense, but if you wish to use apparmor you are going to need to do some reading and learn to use apparmor. You need to know a little about your file system and what "normal" or expected behavior is of the application you are trying to confine.

You basically have 3 problems.

1. IMO your biggest problem is you do not willing to learn apparmor. by that I mean, it does not work the way you expect, and so you giv eup and move to another application or disable apparmor altogether.

[all variants] Introduction to AppArmor - Ubuntu Forums

Now if you have a specific question on what you read, feel free to ask.

If you do not want to take the time to learn apparmor and read and debug the errors/denial in the logs I suggest you do not use it at all.

2. Your second problem is Firefox, or any browsser really, is not a good application to start with. This is because everyone uses the browser for different things and very diverse things such as sound, flash, opeing documents, pdf, etc etc. So copying somebody else's profile is unlilkely to be overly helpful.

3. You are not using the default version of firefox that comes with Ubuntu. If you used the default version of firefox you can use the default apparmor profile. If you do not use the default version of firefox, you will need to write a profile for the version of firefox you are using.

IMO if you can not modify a profile for firefox you are going to struggle to write a profile form scratch for an alternate browser. As far as I know there are no drop in apparmor profiles for other browsers.

If you want to secure your system I suggest you go back to the basics:

Ubuntu Security - Ubuntu Forums

I think better questions are:

What makes you feel you "need" apparmor ?

Are you willing to spend the time and effort it takes to learn apparmor ?

If so, we can help, but you will need to read and ask specific questions.
    Since i am new with Ubuntu, i have found everything a little complicated, so i am sorry if i annoy you.
    To be honest, i read Introduction to AppArmor more than three times, but i haven't understood, or i haven't figured out how to apply it, i should struggle more to assimilate How it functions.
    But, right now i keep using Opera because i prefer it than Firefox, so i don´t need apparmor.
    Thanks for your time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ismaelito View Post
    ... so i don´t need apparmor.
    Thanks for your time.
    I am not annoyed, I am trying to point you in a more productive direction, point out to you what running apparmor will require. If you are happy with your results, then all is good.

I think that is the best option for now. Linux is not windows and, IMO, a default installation of Ubuntu is more secure then a default windows installation.

As you learn how your system works you may wish to look at SELinux and apparmor.

The advantage of selinux, it has been in existance longer and there are more "profiles" if you will. The disadvantage are the selinux syntax is more difficult to learn and difficult to modify.

The advantage of apparmor is it is easier to learn, not that it is easy as you can see. The disadvantage, there are not yet default profiles of each and every network aware application. The profile for firefox is relatively new and hopefully there will soon be a profile for all apps, such as opera.

As I tried to point out, part of your problem is that you did not stay with the defaults. If you stay with the default version of firefox, the default firefox apparmor profile works just fine, you simply enable it.

Your problems with apparmor stem from the fact that you installed a newer version of firefox and you do not yet understand your system enough to write a custom apparmor profile. As I indicated, firefox is not the best application to start with. Although It is needed, teh firefox apparmor profile is complex, and thus not a good first application to start with. If you want to learn apparmor start with a simpler application, such as pidgin or xchat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

How to enable apparmor for pidgin? I am using Pidgin ver. 2.6.5.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    How to enable apparmor for pidgin? I am using Pidgin ver. 2.6.5.
    Bodhi has a profile here for Pidgin here. However, the explanation of how to create a profile can be found here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678