Thread: Using Mixxx with more than two channels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Using Mixxx with more than two channels

I'm using a Macbook 2,1 with an Ubuntu variant called Crunchbang, which uses straight ALSA without pulse, for what it's worth.

I bought a Berhinger UCA202 usb audio interface in order to preview tracks to beat match. The card was recognized and works automagically, but I have a snag when I try and set up the channels. If I use channels 1-2 for the output of the UCA202 to the speakers and then use channels 3-4 for the internal sound card to my headphones, I get terrible audio quality with lots of pops, skipping, and the program becomes unstable.

However, if I use channels 1-2 for both, the problem goes away immediately, but it becomes more difficult to cue the tracks because I'm listening to the full mix through my headphones.

Does this have anything to do with latency? Or the limitations of my internal sound card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rog
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Using Mixxx with more than two channels

Hello Rog-Mahal, did you try different samplerates? And what are your current Mixxx settings? And which version of Mixxx are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm using Mixxx 1.6.1, which is the version in the Ubuntu repos. No luck with different samplerates, the usb sound card that I'm using only supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz and switching between them makes no difference.

Thanks for the reply.
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans

Hi Rog-Mahal,

Could you please try out the Mixxx 1.8.0 beta? It's available from our website, http://mixxx.org

If the same problem with multiple soundcards persists, try increasing your latency in the preferences dialog. Some soundcards, especially internal ones, cannot handle low latency. If you are still having problems please file a bug in our tracker http://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx

Thanks,
    RJ Ryan