Thread: Help With Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help With Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

Hi, I was reading this article on how to fix the sound in Ubuntu 9.10 after upgrading from 9.04 (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10964...n-ubuntu-9.10/) and when I open “GNOME ALSA Mixer”, nothing shows up (I have included a picture). I typed in:
    Code:
    aplay -l
    into terminal it says:
    Code:
    aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...
    So then I thought that it was that my sound card was not recognized. I typed in:
    Code:
    lspci -v
    and found out that my sound card was an " Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)". Can anyone help me with getting this to work? Thanks.
    P.S. Thanks to "Trevor Bekola" who helped me get this far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -kyle2595

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Help With Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

Did you remove PulseAudio?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Normally PA would handle your audio mixing.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help With Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

When I get to the part that says

"4. (Karmic users - please skip this step, it's not necessary). Open System/Preferences/Sound. In the Devices section, ensure that all "Sound playback" options are set to Autodetect. Set the "Sound capture" item to "ALSA", or the appropriate hardware definition. Close the application when you're finished.
    Note: Choosing PulseAudio for sound capture may result in crashes, so you are advised to choose the "direct" ALSA device instead."

I can't find
    "System/Preferences/Sound".
    -kyle2595

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I use Gnome. Is there something sound-like under System —> Preferences?
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was looking around on Google and found this: http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/03/man...n-ubuntu-9-10/. When it says

"Head over to the Alsa Project (http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/) and search for suitable drivers. On this site you will want to match your sound card chipset with a compatible driver. When you have found the compatible driver install it and then you will have to add it to the kernel. Type the command:sudo modprobe snd-
    and hit the Tab key twice. You will want to view all of the listings to make sure the module you need is there. When you find the exact name of the module you need you can load it with the command:
    sudo modprobe snd-XXX
    Where XXX is the actual name of the module you need to load."

I think that my module is either "snd-intel8x0" or "snd-intel8x0m". Can someone conferm which one it is, I was never able to find out how to match my sound card chipset with a compatible driver. Thank you to anyone who helps me!
    -kyle2595

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Never mind, the only Intel cards that are supported are the ICH Southbridge ones.
    Still looking for a solution to my original problem...
    -kyle2595

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I have that sound device on my Toshiba laptop.

Sound should work no problem, unless you are still running a Jaunty kernel (things changed). What is the output of uname -a? If that is a .28 kernel (before .31), that is your problem.

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ lspci | grep Audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Well, same device, but different revision.
    Last edited by efflandt; February 18th, 2010 at 12:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The output for the code is:
    Code:
    Linux KylesLaptop 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    I had upgraded from 9.04, I know that a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 would fix everything, but I was hoping to fix it without having to do that.
    -kyle2595

Beans
    Distro

Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't kernel updates be included somewhere in the upgrade/update process?
    A High-Tech Blech!