Thread: Transmission unwanted Behavior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Transmission unwanted Behavior

My intentions where to download a file (5GB+) to my desktop, i imported a .torrent file into transmission and after that transmission locks Up / locks up all other processes.

i went investigating and found out before transmission downloads the file it creates a empty dummy file of the same size in the destination folder, when i checked "iotop" for Read/write speeds i noticed that transmission was writing lots of data to the HD during the lockup. (after a few minutes the lockup ends)

i've been using transmission for a long time now and it never did that before. could it be that it has something to do with my home directory being encrypted? has anyone else had this problem before?

thanks for your time.
    http://mm-rs.org
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install freedom

Beans

Re: Transmission unwanted Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by ethoxyethaan View Post
    My intentions where to download a file (5GB+) to my desktop, i imported a .torrent file into transmission and after that transmission locks Up / locks up all other processes.

i went investigating and found out before transmission downloads the file it creates a empty dummy file of the same size in the destination folder, when i checked "iotop" for Read/write speeds i noticed that transmission was writing lots of data to the HD during the lockup. (after a few minutes the lockup ends)

i've been using transmission for a long time now and it never did that before. could it be that it has something to do with my home directory being encrypted? has anyone else had this problem before?

thanks for your time.

Yes. Preallocating a file on an encrypted filesystem is pretty slow. If your encrypted filesystem is supported by glibc's fallocate64() system call, then this will be much faster for you Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I run transmission outside my /home directory tree. This solves a number of issues and sounds as though it would help with yours. Can you place your torrent work on a separate drive, for instance?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    I run transmission outside my /home directory tree. This solves a number of issues and sounds as though it would help with yours. Can you place your torrent work on a separate drive, for instance?
    I agree with this, and do the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Yes now that i think of it, i've always used transmission outside my home directory for large files. so this might just be the case.

Creating the empty files should not make transmission lock up tough.
    http://mm-rs.org
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install freedom

Beans
    Distro

I don't experience any lock up from large files (and I've done a few), but I'm not using encryption on /home either.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

I am experiencing the same problem. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, transmission 1.75 (9117) and my home dir is encrypted. I tried to download a large file (over 5 gig) via torrent and transmission took over 90% cpu and became unresponsive for several minutes.

Beans
    Distro

It sounds as though you should look into filing a bug report (or at least searching to see if a bug report has already been filed) for this.
    A High-Tech Blech!