Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offline Feed Reader?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Offline Feed Reader?

I've been holding on to Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.4 for awhile now both due to needed hardware support and for application compatibility with my preferred feed reader. Straw. Unfortunately, while the hardware support seems to be slowly improving, I have been unable to find a replacement offline feed reader for Straw and since it has become increasingly clearer Straw is abandonware and will not be updated to work on the newer python, or to use the new python gecko modules I need to find a replacement for when Canonical drops support for Hardy Heron. I have tried out quite a few different feed readers in the past but have been unable to find one with Straw's killer feature...

Straw has the ability to download and cache locally any images associated with a post for offline viewing. I need that feature! Many of my feeds include images as an important part of the article, and I am unable to always be connected to a WiFi hotspot in the rural area where I live. Without the ability to cache both images and text a feed reader is not truly offline or useful to me.

Can someone please recommend me a feed reader that offers true offline?

Thanks in advance!

--bornagainpenguin
    Last edited by bornagainpenguin; March 9th, 2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: problem still not solved
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Offline Feed Reader?

GPODDER!
    Took a long time to find the right one sorry (all caps and such)
    I'm not sure but i think anything classed as a podcast client should be able to download from a feed (thereby making it offline viewable)

hope this helps!
    Taking control of my computer one coffee aided script error at a time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Offline Feed Reader?

Quote Originally Posted by cameronedwards View Post
    GPODDER!
    Took a long time to find the right one sorry (all caps and such)
    I'm not sure but i think anything classed as a podcast client should be able to download from a feed (thereby making it offline viewable)

hope this helps!
    Scratch that it only works in karmic, sorry.
    but i think that the podcast client rule still stands so maybe search synaptic / apt-cache search for 'podcast'?
    Taking control of my computer one coffee aided script error at a time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cameronedwards View Post
    Scratch that it only works in karmic, sorry.
    but i think that the podcast client rule still stands so maybe search synaptic / apt-cache search for 'podcast'?
    You think I would be able to use a podcast client to read feeds like the engadget one here?

Code:
    http://www.engadget.com/rss.xml
    EDIT-- Okay I tried it out on my Karmic install on my spare desktop, and it doesn't want to display the images offline. Gpodder grabs the first article of each feed and the text, then opens everything in firefox when I open the article. If there is an active internet connection it will download any images in place, otherwise nothing gets displayed. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by bornagainpenguin; February 16th, 2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added information after trying suggestions
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

/two days later bump
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just posted on the Lucidor support forums about their newsroom feature. Lucidor is an ePub reader that runs on Linux, Windows, and MacOS X so if the developer can make it do what I need I may have at long last found the successor I need to Straw, one that also allows me to read ebooks! I will keep this thread updated if there is any news.

Funny, I wasn't even looking for anything feed related and I stumbled across this application that could be the answer to my prayers...

--bornagainpenguin
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know if it is true offline but liferea has an offline option. Perhaps you could try that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jpl888 View Post
    I don't know if it is true offline but liferea has an offline option. Perhaps you could try that?
    I have it only displays text, not images offline. Supposedly there was a filter script that would allow it to do this, but I have never been able to make it work. If you figure it out and can explain how to make it work for me, I'd be much obliged!

--bornagainpenguin
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Got a hold of the guy writing Lucidor and he explained the application does cache images for offline reading in ePub files created using the feeds section of the program, unfortunately these images are only cached locally and will not transfer with the ePubs themselves, He also said that the feeds section is still a work in progress so it will not be able to do what I need yet.

So, back to the main point of this thread--does anyone know of a way to cache feeds in full, in an application of their own that can download the various images and text associated with the feeds for later offline reading in such a way it will display everything?

--bornagainpenguin
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My apology for double posting. Please see the next post.
    Last edited by Sir Jasper; March 9th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast