Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samsung R580 + GeForce GT 330M

Beans

Re: Samsung R580 + GeForce GT 330M

Hi guys,

Sorry for posting this message here but I can't find another forum with people owning Samsung R580. I just bought mine 3 days ago except I can't create recovery disk (no option besides copy all the harddisk). I talked to Samsung and they said a Recovery CD should've been in the box. Did any of yours come with a recovery cd? any way to create it? Mine didn't come with a recovery CD.

Thanks
    Maz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm also interested in getting this laptop, but not if it doesn't work well in Ubuntu.

Another one at best buy is the asus g60JX - and it appears everything works fine in it, or else there are fixes/workarounds already posted. But it's $70 more and no bluray (I can live w/out bluray though).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dugh View Post
    I'm also interested in getting this laptop, but not if it doesn't work well in Ubuntu.

Another one at best buy is the asus g60JX - and it appears everything works fine in it, or else there are fixes/workarounds already posted. But it's $70 more and no bluray (I can live w/out bluray though).
    Hi dugh, I have r580 and lucid working pretty well on it. I have x86 (32bit) version of ubuntu with PAE kernel and have 4gb memory available.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pleymob View Post
    Hi scathlock

I own the same laptop and had the same issue wich is not fully resolved yet.
    What I've done so far :

Upgrade to the lastest nvidia ( 195.36.08 ) drivers using the information on :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978

then use the nvidia X server settings (in System/Preferences) -> X screen 0 -> x server color correction -> brightness slider to adjust the brightness.

Don't forget to click the "XX seconds to confirm" button

For now, it seems that you have to launch Nvidia X server settings each time you start ubuntu to apply your settings !
    I'll keep looking for a better way to save my eyes !

By the way, the new driver gives you also a true hardware acceleration according to XBMC
    And an artefact free resume on suspend !

Good luck and sorry for my english !

My eyes thanks you, i'm still tryng to find a real solution for change the brightness, in my case xbacklight (a little terminal program) doesn't work but maybe in your case...

In the case that xbacklight work for you, you can add a xbacklight command in the ubuntu shortcut tool...

Thank you again, by the way, how can i know the driver version of my nvidia card?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scathlock View Post
    In order to adjust brightness you should add following line in xorg.conf in device section:

Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

Function keys (fn+up&down) doesn't work yet but gnome brightness applet works.
    Works for me, gnome applet works with the mouse wheel, so, is a start... for the ubuntu noobs i can say the file "xorg.conf" is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. So, for editing this file you can enter in the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I have problems with skype, my webcam works in other applications, but in skype, i can't see my friends webcams mine neither but my friends receive my webcam...

So, the webcam works, but my skype call windows doesnt show it...

Sorry for my english...
    Last edited by prezeus; June 26th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Beans

Just a quick summary of what I did to setup my Samsung R580. Hopefully somebody will find it useful.

Specs are core i5 and GeForce GT 330M.

I installed Kubuntu 10.04. Almost everything worked out of the box. Wireless, bluetooth and sound worked right away. Had to toggle some settings in Kmix to get microphone working for skype.

The screen brightness was not working initally. Changing "screen brightness" in the power managment made the brightness jump irradically.

Installed latest driver from www.nvidia.com

After downloading the driver, I booted into shell using the recovery boot option and ran the install script.

After installing the nvidia driver I could not change the screen brightness at all. Adding:
    "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    ... as mentioned before in this thread fixed it.

Everything seem to be working perfectly now.

Beans

I can also confirm this.

If you had modified your menu.lst so you'd boot with acpi_backlight=vendor, revert it, download the latest nvidia driver and you're done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by felace View Post
    I can also confirm this.

If you had modified your menu.lst so you'd boot with acpi_backlight=vendor, revert it, download the latest nvidia driver and you're done.
    This sound about right.

You can check out http://www.voria.org/forum/index.php
    for samsung-tools.

A very useful step-by-step (great for noobs like me) walkthrough to enabling most of the features (worked on my r580) is here: http://what-ho.posterous.com/linux-h...amsung-laptops

I installed Kubuntu 10.04. Almost everything worked out of the box. Wireless, bluetooth and sound worked right away. Had to toggle some settings in Kmix to get microphone working for skype.
    I was going to ask how to do it in GNOME but I figured out my microphone was just muted. (System->Preferences->Sound) It's very soft though.

Beans

I'm using a samsung R590 laptop (wich is quite similar to the R580) and I got my brightness controls to work on ubuntu 10.10 like this:

Prologue:
    I first installed the samsung-tools these fixed all of my other fn buttons. This is just a tip and not necessary (i think) for the funcionality of the brightness buttons.
    HTML Code:
    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/app/samsung-tools/
    Part 1: install drivers
    1. Disable previous drivers (System/Additional drivers)
    2. Download drivers from www.nvidia.com (use save as)
    3. Reboot in a recovery shell
    Code:
    sudo sh ./<downloaded file>
    5. Follow install instructions. (If previously installed the standard nvidia drivers, you should let the setup create a textfile wich will disable the previous drivers. After that, you should reboot and try again form step 3.)

Part 2: adjust grub
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    2. Add acpi_backlight=vendor to the default command line, the line should then look like this:
    HTML Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Part 3: enable screen adjustments
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    2. Add the following line in the device section: Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    My own section looked like this:
    HTML Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection
    Part 4: reboot and everything should work

Have fun!
    Last edited by jmols; March 6th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by scathlock View Post
    In order to adjust brightness you should add following line in xorg.conf in device section:

Function keys (fn+up&down) doesn't work yet but gnome brightness applet works.

Thanks a lot. It works perfectly in Samsung RF410 too.
    Roberto

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast