Thread: Access Point simple scanner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Access Point simple scanner

HI there,
    I am lookin gfor a simple AP scanner able to tell me the list of SSID around me and the channels they use.
    I am having some problem with channel overlap with several A.P. located around my apartment.
    Please something simple and, possibly, with a GUI.

No WEP/WPA crack or whatsoever is requested, just the simple list of SSID and channel associated list.

Any suggestion ?

Palmer

------
    Solved using the Swscanner package (.deb) downloaded directly from the swscanner.org website. The official version in Synaptic does not work for me
    Last edited by pcolamar; February 16th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Access Point simple scanner

Bump !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What ones have you tried and what problems have you had with them or what have they not done that you wanted them to?
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

underquark, I have tried the SWscanner available under Synaptic but it crashes.
    I thought it was a problem related to the fact that SWscanner runs uder KDE and I use gnome but few seconds ago I found a post pointing me to the version available diirectly from http://www.swscanner.org and actually although they have the same release number, the .deb dowloaded directly from swscanner.org works fine.

Thanks anyhow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can try this from the command line:

sudo iwlist scanning
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.