Thread: How to get your GUI back. Open video drivers do the best job

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

How to get your GUI back. Open video drivers do the best job

Hi,
    My Karmic Ubuntu kept hanging. I didn't know about Ctl-Alt-Prt Scrn-R, E, I, S, U, B (mnemonic = Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken) and so had to press the reset button several times a day. Eventually I traced it to the Screensaver: AntSpotlight. Also, I can't use any visual effects. Except at low resolution, anything other than a setting of None gives me a black screen.

Earlier releases of Ubuntu used to offer a proprietary driver for this card but not any more. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 Pro card. It turns out that the newer ATI Linux drivers do not support it as far as I can see. In fact when I tried them, all I could see was nothing, zero, a black screen of death.

It has taken me the best part of a day and all night to get my screen back. Thank you to whoever it was in one of the forum threads, that referred us to Envy (available in the repositories). I used EnvyNG to finally got rid of enough of the Catalyst driver and put back enough of the open driver for me to at least get my GUI back.

I then followed the advice in the Ubuntu documentation for removing all video drivers and reinstalling the open driver. This still only gave me an unknown monitor with a refresh rate of zero and a suboptimal screen resolution. The final trick was to go into /etc/X11 and rename all the xorg.conf files that I could find - three of them - to zxorg.conf files.

After the reboot, the open driver recognized the monitor as a Dell 20" and gave me back all the screen resolutions. So now I have my screen back but still no visual effects and I'll have to somehow selectively remove whatever screen savers use those special effects, crashing the system.
    gwm

Beans

Re: How to get your GUI back. Open video drivers do the best job

You should have desktop effects. Make sure you've followed all of the commands in this section: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...from%20scratch

If you reboot and still can't get effects, post output of:
    Code:
    compiz --replace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How to get your GUI back. Open video drivers do the best job

Hi Temujin,
    I have done that and captured the output from each command if that will help.
    Here is the requested output
    Code:
    Compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present. 
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present. 
    Checking for non power of two support: present. 
    Checking for Composite extension: present. 
    Checking screen 1Comparing resolution (1600x1200) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present. 
    Checking for nVidia: not present. 
    Checking for FBConfig: present. 
    running under gnome seesion, checking for gnomecompat
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
    WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!

# after this command, the windows on the screen went blank, black.
    # Except for the Terminal window which remained visible.
    # At screen resolution 1152 x 864 screen came back, allowing all special effects.
    # Only working possibility for full resolution (1600 x 1200) is Visual Effects = None
    # I've tried to find xgl and glx 1.3 in Synaptic - not sure what to install.
    Last edited by gwm; February 17th, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
    gwm