Thread: SFTP Multiple Simultaneous Connections

Beans

Angry SFTP Multiple Simultaneous Connections

Hi Guys,

I really hope someone could help me with this problem. I've been stuck on this for a month!!

I am using the sftp command to upload files using a bash script. I use a command such as this:

Code:
    sftp -C -B $BUFFER -R $REQUESTS -oPort=$PORT $USER@$HOST:$PATH <<EOF 
    mput $1
    EOF
    Simple enough right? The problem is that it is extremely slow to do it this way... as many of you would know if you have shared server somewhere. I would use scp if remote server supported it, but it doesn't.

Anyway, If any of you have ever used FileZilla, in the Settings, if you go to "Transfers" there is a place where you can set the number of "maximum simultaneous transfers". This feature works wonders with SFTP (and FTP too). It really speeds things up. How do I accomplish this same thing with the sftp command... because I don't want to use a GUI. I don't even mind using FileZilla through the command line if possible... but it does not seem to be possible.

Please help, I've been stuck on this for a month!!! I've searched everywhere and tried a lot of things with no avail...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SFTP Multiple Simultaneous Connections

LFTP is a scriptable ftp client which supports ftp, http and sftp protocols. I think it can do what you are after. It's in the Ubuntu repositories. See this link for more info.

Yes, I'm a fan of lftp and will plug it whenever possible

Andrew

Beans

Thank you so much Andrew!! I am reading the man page and already excited about this. Cool!!

Also, for future reference for others who have this issue... from what I read in the man page, this is probably the way to do it:

Code:
    mirror:parallel-transfer-count
    Where you can specify the number of parallel transfers. Have not tested it yet. Am I on the right track Andrew?

Thanks so much again!!

EDIT: Actually, thats to mirror, not for uploading (doh! -- my bad). Any idea how I can specify the number of transfers allowed? can't seem to find an obvious answer on the man page. Or does it handle this automatically and use the max possible?
    Last edited by Eagleon; February 7th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I was thinking
    Code:
    cmd:parallel
    but I have never needed this feature.

Good luck, I'm glad you think this is the right tool.

Andrew

Beans

Thanks again Andrew! Yep, I see what you mean ...

I will play around with this and update this thread with what I find out.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: SFTP Multiple Simultaneous Connections

Well, I just finished running some tests. It works brilliantly. I did not try the

Code:
    cmd:parallel
    after all, since from what it seems... I have to set that option in the settings. Unless I misunderstood the man page. I am not sure how to pass that to LFTP. Since this stuff is going into a bash script that I want to distribute, writing stuff in the lftprc file, or lftp.conf would not be an option. So instead, I tried this:

Code:
    mirror --parallel=10 -R
    It does a reverse mirror of all files in my folder (which is what I want) ... I am watching the upload progress, and doing an ls on the remote machine shows that 10 files are being written simultaneously. PERFECT!!!

Thanks Andrew!! You are a life saver!!

One last question though. If I wanted to pass the cmd : parallel without touching the config/settings files, how could I do it? is it possible? Thanks!
    Last edited by Eagleon; February 8th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleon View Post
    One last question though. If I wanted to pass the cmd : parallel without touching the config/settings files, how could I do it? is it possible? Thanks!
    Sorry, I haven't been checking this for a while.

I think prefixing your lftp command with
    Code:
    set cmd:parallel;
    should do it. for example:

PHP Code:
    PREFIX_CMD="set cmd:fail-exit yes; set:parallel;"
    CMD="(actual lftp command)"
    lftp -u user -"$PREFIX_CMD $CMD quit" sftp://remote.system 
    Andrew